Chapter 10: Game of School

Happy late Thanksgiving everyone! Love you all and am so thankful to have you guys reading this story. : )

Buried in my book, the professor's lecture drags on. She draws out some of the most basic runes on the chalkboard behind her, explaining what each stroke means and how one wrong misstep in your mind can turn a simple enhancing rune into a fire rune.

"Can anyone tell me the five groups of enhancing runes?" Professor Harwood croaks, turning slightly to look back.

The fire mage across from me bristles, looking to his friend with a whisper. "It's nearly mid-year, why ask us such stupid questions?"

Because idiots like you use upside-down triangles for hearing runes, I inhale deeply to keep silent and flip to the next page in my botany book. It's thick with yellow pages and larger than my forearm. The question isn't even that hard.

"Mr. Darvey," I bring my hand to my mouth, hiding my smile. I glance up to watch the professor straighten, her black and white hair pulled tightly into a bun. The wrinkles around her eyes and mouth etch her face in a permanent frown. "Can you tell me the five enhancing runes?"

He stammers, mouth opening and closing like a fish out of water. "Hearing. Um, sight-"

"Taste. Touch. And smell." With a sigh, my eyes travel down the table to see the short, stout earth mage. Vex raises her chin when Harwood approves of the answer. I stare down the venomous stare she gives me.

I go back to my book and flip over another page with a silent, bored sigh.

"Now, turn to page 405 in your textbooks. Can anyone tell me what rune the text describes." Harwood questions.

Papes crinkle as students reach into their bags to pull out giant textbooks the size of their forearms. People start up a murmur only to be hushed by the professor. I pretend to follow along if only to not be called out for not paying attention. Again.

Down the table, I hear Vex and her group of friends snicker. "Botany in rune casting? Well, that confirms it, mutts can't read."

The urge to reach down the table and strangle the girl makes my hands slick and curl into the book. "She's not worth it," Rima reminds me.

"I know, but Gods would it feel good to shut her up."

"Burn her."

"You just told me to leave her alone," I say, wanting to smile.

"I can burn her while you pay attention," she says matter-of-factly, hoping to steer me away from the conversation. It doesn't work well when we share a heart, but I accept my win silently and go back to my book.

Vex bristles at my silence and I can hear the huff from here. "Botany in rune class?" She repeats.

"No need to repeat yourself, Vexian, I ignored you just fine the first time," I say, eyes roving over the sketch of a purple flower with spiky leaves and thick stem. I recognize it immediately, already mentally forming different concoctions and elixirs to make out of it.

"Excuse me, mutt?" Her words come out low and emphasized.

Rima huffs, internally rolling her eyes at the petty nickname.

With a tight smile, I look up at Vex and her friends. Both of them watch me with a smug glare, all of them expecting me to fume with rage. "How's your wrist?" I say instead, trying to sound as polite and innocent as possible.

Vex darkens, fists clenching around her book. Her honey-colored skin flushes red and I smirk to add to her anger. "Shut up, mutt," she growls, her almond-shaped eyes narrowing like knives.