E L E V E N !

[ CHAPTER XI:
BIRDWATCHING ]

ALICE SAT in her room with her head in her hands as Beverly sat at the edge of her bed. Alice had made absolutely sure that Richie was at the arcade and no longer at home before inviting Beverly over, Richie wasn't that great about Beverly still.

"It's just—agh!" Alice groaned as she sat up.

Alice spilled everything to Beverly about her crush on Stan. "What's so wrong about it?" Beverly asked in pure curiosity.

"We've known each other since like the fourth grade! I didn't even know I had a crush on Stan until Betty told me how she felt around Corcoran" Alice said before flopping back on her bed. "What would I even tell him? 'Hey Stan, I know you basically friend zoned me like a couple days back but I like you' Yeah right" Alice said.

Beverly opened Alice's window as she lit up a cigarette. Beverly took a drag out of the cancer stick before looking over at Alice. "Yeah, exactly like that" Beverly said.

Alice turned on her side as she stared at the phone that laid beside her bed. "Should I call him? Go over to his house? Maybe get him a present first?" Alice said.

As Alice rambled Beverly grabbed the phone book as her cigarette was held in her mouth, flipping through the pages before putting out the cigarette and walking over to the phone. "Bev?" Alice asked as Beverly sat down the book and dialed in a number.

"Boom" Beverly said handing Alice back the phone.

"Bev, this is—wait I'm not even ready! I don't even know what to tell him!" Alice said.

Beverly sat on top of the bed next to Alice. "I'll guide you through it" Beverly said.

"Uris residence, Stanley speaking"

"Hey Stan!" Alice cringed at her cheery tone but Beverly gave her a thumbs up so that was probably okay.

"Alice, hey, I was planning to you call later on actually" Stan said. "How's your cheek doing?" He asked.

Alice let out a small breath, she really needed some small talk. "Eh, I've had worst but I think I'll keep a mental note that Bill can certainly pack a punch" Alice said as she twirled the cord around her finger.

She heard Stan let out a small laugh and Beverly mouthed to her: 'you got this in the bag'. "Hey, uh, Alice?" Stan asked.

"Yeah?" Alice replied.

"Could you—could you meet me at the park? Across the street from the diner?" Stan asked.

Alice looked over at Beverly as she shrugged. "Uh, y-yeah, I don't have anything going on right now" Alice said.

"Great, I'll see you there" Stan said.

"Bye, Stan the man" Alice said before hanging up. "I have to change!" Alice said before bolting to her closet.

Beverly giggled as she closed the phone book and place it back into one of Alice's drawers. "You look fine right now" Beverly said gesturing to Alice's leggings and gray sweater.

"It's ninty degrees outside Beverly. Besides I don't even know what he wants to talk about. If it's about Neibolt I could come like this but if I'm gonna try and tell him my feelings I have to at least look decent" Alice reasoned. "Maybe this?" Alice said holding out a yellow dress. "No, I wore that at the Quarry!" Alice groaned before putting the dress back.

Beverly only smiled before helping the girl look for an outfit. "Has Stan ever complimented on one of your clothing choices?" Beverly asked.

Alice suddenly gasped in remembrance as she pulled out a pastel pink shirt and high waisted bellbottoms. "A year ago, Stan said it looked really pretty after Henry called it girly" Alice said.

"It is pretty" Beverly said before turning to Alice. "You've got this in the bag Alice, you just have to be confident about yourself and your feelings" Beverly said.

Alice smiled softly. "Thanks Bev, you're a lot better at helping with this than the guys" She said.

"I try" Beverly said.

Alice starting to think this was a bad idea, a really horrible, bad idea! Maybe she just go home and tell Stan, she had forgotten she had plans with Richie—"Alice in wonderland!"

Alice turned around and suddenly her panic washed away as Stan stood in front of her. "Hey, nice outfit" He complimented.

"Thanks" Alice said as the two began walking up the hill. "What did you want to talk up here about?" Alice asked.

Stan shoved his hands into his pockets. "I wanted to ask you about what happened in Neibolt? Only if you're okay with it" Stan said.

Alice glanced down at the ground, her panic now returning. "It's because I said it was scarier the second time around, huh?" Alice asked and Stan nodded. "It wasn't the first time I saw that clown" Alice said.

"Elaborate" Stan said as he leaned foreword.

"I saw It in my basement, before heading to the Quarry. I heard noises coming from the basement and I thought it was Richie, so I went down to get him. The light switch didn't work so I tugged on the light bulbs string and—there laid Richie, dead, his insides were outside, his stupid glasses were shattered, and maggots were all over him" Alice shuddered at the memory. Alice glanced over at Stan worries look and suddenly felt the need to try and comfort him. "But it didn't scare me that badly!" Alice said.

Stan's worried look turned into a look of disbelief before Alice sighed. "It got me pretty good" Alice said as she rested her head on the wooden table. "And then fucking Neibolt happened and—"

"If you don't want to talk about I won't pressure you too" Stan said placing his hand on top of hers.

Alice shook her head as she closed her eyes before Stan could catch a glimpse of her glossy eyes. "I saw you" Alice breathed out. "It made me see your fucking body, it was so horrifying and so realistic, I-I held you in my arms" Alice whispered. "Then It appeared, It talked to me, like actually had a conversation with me" She continued.

Stan squeezed her hand. "What—What did It say?" Stan asked.

" 'I know what your afraid of, but you but you wouldn't want your friends to know, you wouldn't want them worrying about you! You can't keep sacrificing yourself, little Al' " Alice sucked in a deep breath. "He then said—" Alice suddenly stopped talking.

"Alice?" Stan asked

Alice closed her eyes and then shook her head signaling to Stan that she didn't want to talk about it. Stan let out a soft sigh as his eyes wandered around the trees before landing on a bird that was chirping peacefully. "Look, a Robin" Stan pointed out.

Stan nudged Alice and Alice looked over at the bird a sense of peace washing over her sadness. "It's really pretty" Alice said, her fingers softly tapping along to the birds song.

"Alice?" Stan asked and Alice hummed in response her eyes lingering on the Robin. "Not to sound rude or anything but,,why did you call me?" Stan asked.

The rhythm Alice was tapping to stopped and she tried to hide a blush. "Actually it was Beverly who dialed your phone number she just handed me the phone. I don't know why, though" Alice lied.

As if playing a record that was once stopped Alice began tapping her fingers to the birds chirping, as the corners of her mouth perked up in small smile. Never noticing Stan's gaze as he stared at her.

AUTHORS NOTE
look at these fucking softies 😔😔