• Chapter Thirteen •

"A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous." ~ Ingrid Bergman

• • •

The next few weeks pass by in a blur. I've been noticing Eliza giving Abel longing looks when she thinks I'm not looking. Things are sort of strained between us but I'm not sure how to change that since Abel and I are a thing? We're not even dating, I don't know what actually is going on between us.  I know he likes me so when is he going to ask me out? Maybe I'm over thinking.

Since Abel's and I's English presentation is due next week, we decided to go to his house to put the finishing touches on it as it's Friday. My mum thinks I'm going to Rolos. Ha-ha, lying isn't fun.

At the end of the school day, I walk to Abel's car to wait for him. So focused on scrolling through my phone, I don't notice Abel reach my side.

He leans close to me. "Brown eyes."

Out of instinct, I punch him right in the face.

"Ow!" He Shouts.

"Oh, my goodness, I'm so sorry! But in my defence, you shouldn't have snuck up on me like that." I say with my arms on my hips.

"How is this my fault!"

"If you had walked up to me like a normal person Abel, I wouldn't have gotten scared and hit you. Lesson learnt at least." I pick up my bag and go to sit in the passenger seat.

Abel stares at me for a second before walking to the other side, his hand still cradling his jaw.

Once he's inside, Abel speaks up. "You're hard work Keziah."

"No, I'm not, you just can't handle all this." I say gesturing to my whole body.

Abel's eyes rake my body from head to toe before licking his lips and looking up to meet my eyes. That's when I notice his eyes have gone a shade darker with desire.

My body flames with heat and I cough from embarrassment. Abel shakes his head to clear his mind before smiling sheepishly at me and driving off.

After a couple minutes of silence, I decide to say something.

"I really am sorry about hitting you. Your face is kind of turning purple from a bruise." I say guiltily.

Abel chuckles. "It's alright, I just won't be sneaking up on you any time soon. Where'd you learn to punch like that anyway?"

"My dad made me take self defence classes like a year or so ago. You should probably ice that when we get to your house."

"I will. So, I just want to warn you about my family...there's quite a lot of us. You'll see."

I look at him in confusion for a second before admiring his appearance. Even with the bruise on his jaw, he's still the most attractive person I've ever seen. I love the way his hair falls in his eyes forcing him to push it out the way. He has a strong aristocratic nose with full, plump and pink lips that curve into a beautiful yet cheeky smile. The number of times I've dreamt about kissing them. On top of that, I can't get over the way his deep blue eyes shine with happiness and mischief. How when he looks at me, they sparkle with joy as if I'm his world. How they darken with desire when he likes how I look at that point. How they display every single emotion he's feeling. Most of all, I love how they're always focused on me. Wow I'm obsessed.

"I can feel you staring Brown eyes." He says with a smirk.

I decide to be bold. "And so what if I am?"