• Chapter Fifty •

"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you."              ~ Ephesians 4:32

                             • • •
Since there's so many people in Abel's family, I'm not completely expecting Abel to be the one to open the door.

I'm not sure if I'd prefer it to be him or someone else.

Either way, the decision is made for me as soon as Abel's mum answers.

"Oh Keziah! I thought I'd never see you again!" She exclaims with relief.

She doesn't seem annoyed at me for upsetting Abel which is what I expected.

"Yeah, I'm sure Abel told you everything." I say sheepishly.

Adah gives me a tender smile and pats my back gently as she pulls me inside, "He did honey. And I'm sure from your point of view it looked bad so I can understand why you acted as such."

My eyebrows raise in both shock and surprise, "You're not annoyed at me?" I ask incredulously.

"Not at all honey! Despite it all you make Abel happy and I can't fault you for that. But please for the love of God talk to him. I've had enough of his moping about." She releases a low chuckle before walking off.

Assuming Abel's in his room, I make my way there while giving myself a mini pep talk.

Before I can talk myself out of it, I knock twice before holding the cake box tightly.

My heart starts pounding loudly against my ribs, thrumming like the wings of a caged bird.

"Leave me alone, I don't want to talk mum!" He shouts.

Clearly he doesn't realise it's me so I knock again.

"I said I-"

Abel opens the door wildly, stopping half way through his sentence once he sees me.

"Hi." I whisper delicately.

Abel swallows deeply but doesn't say a word.

"Can we talk?" I ask.

He silently makes room for me to enter and shuts the door behind me. Since Abel has become mute right now, I'll just say everything I need to and hope that he forgives me.

I take a seat on his sofa and place the box next to me. Abel's eyes briefly glance at the box before focusing on me once again.

I clear my throat and start, "I um. I'm guessing you got my last two gifts for you right?"

Silence.

"Right, well they had a purpose. Um, the origami heart was just to show how much you mean to me and the fact that out of everyone, you're the one I've given my heart too. The second one was showing the memories we've made so far together and how happy I am with you. I also added the jelly snakes because I know they're your favourite sweets." I laugh lightly and open the box, "And this, is to say sorry."

I pass him the box for him to see and watch as his hardened façade melts slightly. That's the only encouragement I need to keep going. So I do.

"Abel, I'm so sorry for everything. I'm sorry for not listening to you that night and giving you the benefit of the doubt. You've been nothing but kind and loving to me and I shouldn't have written you off like that. I guess I was scared you know? It's my first relationship and seeing that made me panic so I did the only thing I could think of at the time. I regret it now, I should have believed and trusted you so I take the blame here. I- I would like for us to try again. I'm not even sure if we were broken up but that's how it felt and it wasn't great. So just like the cake says, please forgive me?" I wring my hands together nervously and glance up at Abel to find him smiling deeply.