• Chapter Thirty-Three •

"Find ecstasy in life; the mere sense of living is joy enough." ~Emily Dickinson

                              • • •

As I say goodbye and make my way to the door, I spot a hunched figure sitting on the doorstep. I take a step closer, my feet crunching on the frozen leaves alerting my presence to the person in front of me.

I notice that it is indeed Abel and stop walking. He stands up and moves towards me before seeing Noahs car behind me. At this realisation, a frown covers Abels face just like today during school.

"What are you doing here Abel?"

Abel runs his hands through his hair, tugging slightly, "I came to talk to you about earlier." His eyes flicker between me and Noah who still hasn't left for some reason.

I turn around and wave to Noah who gets the message and leaves before leading Abel into my household.

Luckily, no one's home yet because of all their extracurricular activities and work. Since I'm not feeling the more intimate setting of my room, I take Abel to the living room.

I sit down on the one-seater sofa to prevent Abel from sitting down extremely close to me. We need to talk and that won't happen if I get distracted by him.

"I'm mad at you." I state while looking straight at him.

Abel flinches slightly and tugs on his ear; something I've noticed he does sometimes when he's upset, embarrassed or nervous.

"I know. I'm so sorry Brown Eyes. I shouldn't have acted like that; it wasn't fair to you. I don't know what came over me, I was just-"Abel sighs and runs his hands through his hair again, "I was just frustrated is all."

"But why Abel?" I snip at him. "I didn't do anything, in fact all I wanted was to talk to you about what had happened and then you do that."

I feel my anger growing every second I talk about this. I'm not going to be treated like that just because he's my boyfriend. He should have more respect for me.

"You don't get it do you? I was jealous Keziah. I can't stand it when someone else makes you laugh and Noah seems to be doing it left, right and centre. Either way, I shouldn't have taken it out on you and for that I apologise. But, it's not easy to sit there and listen to you talk about another guy in such a joyful way. I'm the one you should be talking about like that, not him.  You're my girlfriend which means I'm the one who makes you happy."

He scowls deeply at the end of his rant and despite trying my best, I start giggling. "I can't believe you Abel. All that because you were jealous? You realise Noah is just a friend, right? Because if you did, you wouldn't have walked out on me like that."

I understand that whenever my insecurities and jealousy arises, Abel reassures me wholeheartedly, removing any ounce of doubt in my mind. But I've never responded by treating him without respect. This situation is different and he needs to know that.

Still feeling upset, I get up and head to the kitchen to get a glass of water. As I expected, Abel follows closely behind me.

"God Brown Eyes, I know that." He growls through gritted teeth showing his frustration that I'm also mirroring.

I lean against the counter and stare deeply into his stormy sapphire eyes. I could get lost in them forever if I wanted to; they're so expressive and mesmerising.

Abel takes a step closer and cages me in his arms. Despite my frustration, I can't help but notice his usual smell of sandalwood and cinnamon that I've always associated with him. No matter the situation, I will always be the first to admit how delectable the guy smells.