• Chapter Forty-Three •

"It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep all your life." ~Elizabeth Kenny

                               • • •

It's been a few days since my date with Abel and I'm still feeling giddy about it all. The bracelet hasn't left my wrist except for when I shower and I can't help but fiddle with the little charms and smile.

Abel put so much thought into it and it just makes me like him even more for it.

I haven't been able to see him since then though because my parents-especially my mum- have demanded to spend some 'quality' time together. That simply consisted of multiple board games, movies and snacks. Although mum wanted us all to bond more, it honestly just led to me and Marcel arguing more. He's a sore loser and I'm pretty stubborn but what can you do? I argued a lot less with Omari and Nolan but they're still annoying.

Marcel's only a year older than me which means he's heading off to university next year. He's applied to mostly nearby universities like the University of Bath, Bristol university and Gloucester. He has applied to some in London too but I know he's not sure about that.

Anyway, it's currently New Year's Eve and I'm sad to say that I have zero plans. Zilch. Nada. None.

It's pretty sad, I know but it's not my fault. Blame everyone else for not planning something for me to go too. Even Marcel has plans, but then again, he always does. He's annoyingly popular and is constantly surrounded by people at school which is probably why I rarely see him. Not that I mind, I see him enough at home.

I'm currently lying on my sofa with Nolan and Omari while watching The Lion King; yes, I'm watching it again. Like I said, it's my favourite Disney movie.

Nolan's lying on top of me with his head on my chest while eating from the bowl of salted popcorn I made for myself despite my protests. Omari's sitting at the end of the sofa with my legs propped on his lap while texting on his phone.

"You're supposed to be watching the movie Omari." Nolan Says.

Omari ignores him and continues typing away.

"Who are you talking to anyway?" I question.

"Just Zane." He mumbles.

A smile spreads across my face at the thought of him having at least one good friend he can rely on. Like I said before, Omari can be shy around new people meaning he doesn't make friends easily so this is a good sign.

"So, you two are best friends now, then right?" I look at Omari eagerly waiting for his reply.

"He's cool." Is all he responds with. Great conversation.

Deciding to stop hounding him so much, I pick up my own phone to see if I have any messages to find some notifications from the big group chat.

"Now you're on your phone too!" Explains Nolan. "You're both supposed to be watching the movie with me! And it's your favourite Kez!"

Nolan starts to reach for my phone but I expertly move it out of his way, "I know that but people are texting me so just keep watching. I'm still here." I respond softly.

Nolan actually listens to me this time and goes back to watching the film.

I click on the group chat allowing all the messages to show up on my screen
.

Raph: I've decided to have a party tonight. You can all come.

Rolo: Oh gee Raph, I'm so glad you've given us permission as your friends to attend.