Six

Kenadee was lying in bed with Emily. Her little girl was cuddled up to her chest. Kenadee felt bad for what she wanted to do. She knew that Emily needed her.

Emily opened her eyes and beamed at Kenadee. Kenadee felt tears slip down her cheeks. "I love you so much baby girl. You're my everything," she mumbled.

Emily blinked and grinned. "Muma."

***
Kenadee went downstairs with Emily. Neve smiled at Emily. "Are you okay?" She asked as she held her niece. She saw that Kenadee had been crying. "Ken?"

"I want to give her to Max. To live with him. I can't be her mum. She needs better than me," Kenadee said as she wiped away her tears.

Neve was shocked. She felt bad for her sister. "Look at me. You are the best mum ever to this little girl. She loves you so much. You give her to Max and she'll be so unhappy. You're the reason she smiles Kenny."

Kenadee wiped away the tears. "She said her first word earlier. She said Muma."

"That's amazing. See, you're her favourite person and her hero. She loves you Kenny. And you give her up, she will be so sad," Neve said.

***
Kenadee arrived at school and sighed. Max walked over to her. He had got a text from Neve. "I think we need to talk."

"About?"

Max sighed and took her inside. He kissed her cheek. "About how you want to give Emily over to me. You can't give up your daughter. She needs a mother and you can't give her up."

Kenadee sighed and looked at him. "You don't understand. I'm still hurting from everything that's happened. I look at her and I think how can I keep her when I know I'm going to mess her up."

"No you're not. She's nearly one and in the space of that one year, you've done everything you can to keep her alive and healthy. She is our daughter and if you give her up, you'll regret it," Max said.

"But she'll be with you."

Max sighed. "I can't have her full time with me. I'm at meetings and I don't have the time to take her to daycare."

***
Kenadee was sitting in the crèche. Emily was sitting with her. Kenadee grinned. "Mummy was stupid baby. She wanted to give you to daddy."

Emily stood up and toddled towards her. Kenadee grinned and held her close. Kenadee kissed Emily's head. "I love you so much my little lady and I promise. I won't let anyone hurt you."

***
Max stood outside the crèche. He saw Kenadee with Emily and walked inside. Emily looked over at him. Her blue eyes lit up. Kenadee smiled. "She loves you."

Max sighed and looked at her. "I'm leaving. I've been offered a job elsewhere. I'm accepting it," he said.

Kenadee felt her heart break. She put Emily down and looked at him. "You can't. I need you. She needs you."

"I will always be here for you and for Emily. This job means I can get more money for her."

"Please don't leave. I can't cope without you. Please Max," Kenadee sobbed.

Max sighed and kissed her. But could he really walk away from her and Emily? Especially when he still wanted to be with her.