Chapter 2

I can't believe what I'm hearing. I don't want to believe it. Jo looks at me with sad eyes, and all I can think about is what I'll tell my mom. Between me, Bailey, and Ellis, she's got her hands full. I'm at school most of the time, and my family is always at work. I'm 14. I can't have a baby. What now? I start to cry.
"Zola, it's ok. I'll page your mom, and I can tell her. Okay?"
"You'll talk to her?"
"Of course. She might be mad at first, but you have a whole town to help you. Between your mom, Andrew, Maggie, Amelia, you'll be fine. And those are just the people who live with you. Of course you have me and Alex, too."

A while later, my mom comes in to the room.
"Zola! Sweetie, are you okay?
"Hi, mom." I say, looking down at the floor.
"Um, Mer, could I talk to you?"
"What? Is she ok?"
"Just, step outside with me for a sec."
My mom and Jo step out of the exam room, shutting the door behind them. I think the idea was for me not to hear their conversation, but I heard them loud and clear.
"According to the lab results, Zola is pregnant. The fetus looks about 7 weeks on the ultrasound, no abnormalities, but- Meredith?"
She looks horrified, and walks towards my room.
"Zola Grey-Shepherd! How did this happen? How are you going to raise a baby? Oh, wait until Andrew hears this."
My mom and Andrew have been together for a while, but they got married 5 years ago. He lives with us, takes us to school, helps me with my homework- I don't remember my dad or exactly what it's like to have one, but I'm pretty sure that if I did, he would be just like Andrew. He would treat me like his daughter. Just like Andrew.
"Mom, I- I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to, it was one time and I didn't even like the guy and..."
I start to cry .
"I'm so scared."
She pulls me into a hug, and smooths my untamable hair which I've put up on a singular bun on my head.
"I know baby. I'm sorry I yelled. We'll figure it out, okay?"
"Okay."
I trusted my mom. Because that's what moms are for. Could I do that?