Chapter 23

Zola's POV
Issac is almost 6 months, and he is starting to crawl. Even though it sounds like babbling, he calls me mama. School is starting soon, and I'm going back to normality with the beginning of the new school year. My mom will bring Isaac to work and keep him in daycare until someone can take him home. I haven't heard from Micheal since he left 2 months ago, but I heard from one his friends that he left Seattle and is moving somewhere. Those were his words.
Sofia is coming over to see Isaac, and Arizona was going to give him his monthly checkup from home. He's been getting checkups more frequently than most babies, partially because he was a premie, and partially because he's Meredith Grey's grandson.
A knock on the door a moment later interrupts me from playing with Isaac, and I open the door to let them in.
"Hey Zo!" She says, leaning in for a hug. Issac looks up from his playpen with his big, dark eyes, and smiles, and aunt Az reaches down and scoops him up.
"Aren't you much bigger since the last time I saw you?" She says to him, which makes me laugh knowing my mom just took him into the hospital yesterday to show him off. Again.
Arizona does a quick checkup, listening to his heart and testing his reflexes like always, and then she holds him a minute longer before handing him back to me. My mom pours them both a glass of wine, and Sofia and I sit on the carpet near the baby's tummy time mat so that we can talk while he plays.
"Ready to go back to school?" She says, showing Isaac a toy.
"I want to say yes, but I'm not really sure what I'll be going back too. I'm just the girl who got pregnant. Does anyone know?"
Her hesitation concerns me, but I realize she's just distracted with baby Isaac.
"Sorry," she says looking up with a smile, as if just realizing I was speaking to her and trying to recall what I've said. "I don't think so. A few people asked why you were gone, but I gave a bunch of random excuses. I told one girl you got stuck in the Jumanji video game, like in the movie, but I don't think she got the joke." We both crack up at this, since it's so ridiculous. Isaac lifts his belly off the mat and try's to make his way onto his knees to reach his pacifier, but he ends up hitting his head. Sofia looks worried, but I quickly warn her-
"He won't fuss if you don't. He gets upset when he realizes there's something to cry about, but right now, he just thinks he's upside down." I say, helping him sit back up. She smiles.
"You're good at this. How'd you know that?" She asks.
"Let's just say I've had a lot of help from a lot of people, all of them being doctors and two of them specializing in children." I say, referring to her mom and Alex.
A few hours later, our moms announce they've both been paged. My mom shakes her head when she sees the pleading looks on me and Sofia's faces.
"Fine, you can come. Get the baby in his seat."
We all drive to the hospital and our moms go to the ER, and Sofia and I put Isaac in his stroller and go to the attending's lounge. We've grown up with these people as our family, me and Sofia, so we kind of just hang out like it's our home. I hope one day, it really is my home. It would only make sense to carry out my legacy of a very long line of surgeons in the hospital with my mothers- and my, name on it.
"Hey, guys!" Aunt Jo says, looking up from her patient chart. "Look who it is! Hi, baby!" She says, lifting him from the stroller. Technically mom and Andrew would take care of him if something happened to me, but they're his grandparents, so I made Jo and Alex his godparents, which my mother agreed with of course.
She sits on the couch with the baby, making funny faces with him. I remember back to when I walked in here months ago, making her the first person to know about the baby and give me a check up. I suddenly feel sorry for her, remembering how she must have been pregnant during that time since she had a miscarriage a few weeks later. Jo would have been a great mom.
"What are you working on?" I ask, noting the chart she had been reading on Her tablet.
"Oh, it's super cool. I've been working on my clinical trial to make cancer cells attack themselves, and I'm doing the first faze of human testing today on a cancer patient." She says, looking proud.
"I have to see that. Think you can sneak us into the gallery?" I say, with a mischievous grin.
"You know it, girl! OR 3, in a half hour. Speaking of, I have to go, but I will have my intern wait by the OR checkpoint to get you two into the gallery." She pauses, redirecting her thoughts to the baby. "Goodbye little man." She says with a smile.
"Thanks, Auntie Jo. See you soon!"
We bring the baby to daycare and check him in, and head to the gallery a while later, where, as promised, an intern gets us into the gallery. When we get there, the it's crowded with people wanting to get in, but uncle Alex is in the fron with two seats saved for us.
"Ready to see your Aunt Jo make history?" He says with a huge smile, Looking even more proud of her than she had of herself.
"Yup. I had to get in here." I say, smiling back.
We watch the surgery, and 15 minutes in, my mom appears in the back of the gallery to watch.
"Girls? What are you doing?" She says, knowing I'm as much of a (future) surgical junkie as she is now.
"History is being made down there. Girl power and all that. Jo and Alex got us in." I say, and Sofia nods in agreement.
Jo opens the patient, narrating her every move from start to finish through the intercom, and when an intern in the gallery next to me asks a question, I answer and everyone laughs at the sight of a 15 year old correcting a surgical intern.
"She's right." My mom says. "You should spend more time with my daughter, she might teach you a thing or two." She says proudly. Jo smiles up at me from the table, and continues doing her thing.
A few hours later, the surgery is a success and my mom finally insists we leave the gallery to get the baby, and we go home a little while later.

***How/when should I end? What do you guys want to see? Please comment! I need ideas!!!***