Chapter 12

Zola's POV
12 more weeks. That's what I keep telling myself. I can't see my own feet, and I pretty much waddle. But in 12 weeks, I'll have a baby. Then it will be worth it. But here's the thing: a crying, whining, smelly baby doesn't sound much more appealing. Everyone has just accepted the situation as a normality- Bailey and Ellis are ecstatic to have a new playmate, my mom and Andrew planing every detail of the next 3 months and then the 18 years that will follow- and then theres Micheal. He hasn't been around much lately, with sports and homework and friends. I shouldn't blame him. I already have to miss out on life, why should he? But if he doesn't have to miss out on life, why should I?
These are the stupid mood swings I've been facing since forever.
Anyway, school will end shortly after the baby comes, and maybe that will be enough to bring Micheal and I together. 12 more weeks. In 12 weeks I'll have a baby. Then, I'll know.
I laying on the couch finishing up the last lessons of the day on my laptop when a stabbing pain comes over me and the baby starts squirming, until he stops and a puddle of  blood spreads between my legs.
Micheals POV
So, I'm not gonna lie. I haven't been around as much as I could be. I haven't really been around at all. But the part that really gets me is that she has no idea where I am.
Not with friends or football at after-school tutoring, but at work.
Kind of.
It started when I saw how prepared Zola was- between helping with her siblings, doing chores and helping her mom, she's overall responsible.
And it made me realize that I'm not ready to be a dad. I shouldn't have to be, and I'm not expected to be. But I want be in the baby's life, so I'm just gonna try.
I started volunteering at the daycare center downtown, to get experience I guess. I spend my free time changing diapers and cleaning up after messy toddlers, and I'm not sure if it's more or less helpful than being with Zola in terms of preparing for the baby.
After school, I take the bus to the center and spend a few hours helping out as always, before going back home- Zola's home, to be exact, because it's the closest thing I've got.
I walk in the door and immediately see Zo perched in her usual spot on the couch with her laptop close by, sleeping soundly. But as I get closer to give her a kiss, I notice a puddle of blood by her legs. I immediately panic, fumbling around until I can manage to grip the phone and dial 911.
"Hello, this is 911. What is your emergency?"I hear the dispatcher blast through the speaker. I make an effort to reply, but nothing comes out. A few moments of silence pass before I'm able to gather myself.
"My, uh girlfriend. She's pregnant, and bleeding. I think she's unconscious."
"Sir, can you feel a pulse?"
I try to feel for any sign of blood pumping, but I can't steady my hand enough to know for sure.
"I... I don't know." A single tear falls down my face, and I can't bother to wipe it away.
"What's the address so I can send an ambulance?"
I recite it to her before hanging up, and without another word I sit by Zola's head, stroking her hair until I finally hear the faint sound of silence grow louder, until a few minutes later a group of medics burst through the door with a stretcher.
I want to move out of the way, but I still can't gather myself enough to coordinate any type of movement. Time stands freezes, or so it seems, but really I'm so lost in my thoughts that by the time I come to my senses, I realize I'm being helped into in ambulance behind Zola.
Right now, although I hate to admit it, I am thinking about football practice and video games- because the alternative is so much worse.