Chapter 13

Merediths POV
I open my eyes, only to realize I had fallen asleep in the on-call room. I've been on call since 8:00 yesterday morning, and I was supposed be home with Zola by noon today. Now it's 4:00, and I've been here for 32 hours straight. Andrew started his shift at 6:30 this morning and was with the kids last night, but since he's still working and I'm here, that means Zola and Micheal are alone, and the other two are still at after school play group.
I go through the ER since it's the fastest way to the car, just when an ambulance pulls up in the bay, blocking my exit to the car.
"What do we got?" Owen says, unloading the rig.
"14 year old pregnant female found unconscious and bleeding at the scene, no obvious trauma."
As they expose the gurney into the little bit of daylight that's left, I stop in my tracks to see my Zola, laying motionless and covered in blood as they rush her through the doors of the hospital. Micheal steps out behind, standing nearly as still as Zo. I rush into action and follow the gurney.
"Micheal, come on!"
I step into the trauma room where Owen, Alex, and some other interns are assessing her.
"Page Arizona Robins 911!" I shout, in a panic.
"Mer, we got her. Robbins is on her way. Wait outside, we'll let you know when we know something."Alex says, without looking up.
"I'm not leaving her! Where the hell is Robbins?"
"I'm right here. Get me an ultrasound!" She says, entering the room in a hurry.
She pulls over the machine and squirts the gel on Zola's rounded stomach, moving the wand around while looking at the sonogram.
"Is there a heartbeat?" I say, weakly.
A moment of silence passes before a faint sound plays over the machine.
"It's much slower than I'd like, and it's weak, but it's there."
"Thank god-" Micheal and I both say, and it's just then I remember he's been behind me the whole time.
"Alright. There's placental abruption, baby is in distress and mom is mirroring. We need to deliver right now."Arizona shouts, still moving around the wand and observing the ultrasound.
"I though the baby wasn't due for weeks." Micheal says.
"He's not. I'd like him to cook for a little longer, but if either of them have a shot at survival, it's our only chance."
I know that's true, but I also know the sur al rate for 24 weeks. The baby's lungs aren't developed, he won't be able to eat, breath, or move on his own. He'll probably need surgery as soon as he's born, plus a dozen more if he makes it through the night.
"Call up to the OR, let em know we're bringing up an emergency C right now." Arizona says, before wheeling out the gurney.
"Alex!" I call, as they walk away. "You keep that baby alive. You save my grandson, you hear me. Save them both."
"I've got them. I'll be out with updates."
Micheal and I follow them to the ORs, but this time, when the gurney rolls through those doors, I'm on the other side of the line.
After a few moments, Micheal grabs my arm and walks me over to the waiting area and we sit beside one another. I feel bad, like I should be comforting him. As a surgeon, there aren't many times I can't help. It's hard to feel so useless. I guess even he understands.
I pull out my phone and sent Andrew a message.
We're in the surgical waiting area. Get down here fast, it's Zola.
A moment later, it's marked read. While I wait for him to arrive, I text the nanny and make sure she can pick up the kids. It's gonna be a long night.
A moment later, I can see Andrew emerge from the corner frantically sprinting towards me. I stand up and lean into him, crying on his shoulder.
"What's going on? Where's Zola?"
"She's in OR 3. They're doing an emergency C section. The baby went into distress and-" My voice brakes again and he holds me to his chest as I wipe away my tears. I sit back down and Andrew sits next to Micheal, feeling sorry for us both, but mostly terrified for Zola and our Grandson. We sit there for a while until Alex comes out and we all snap to attention. I try to read his expression as he approaches, but his face is blank. I know the face, I use it to.
You have to be detached, without being cold.
We use it when we have bad news, but we don't want to upset the patients family.
"Alex?"
"We have an update."