Chapter 16

Merediths POV
Be patient. It takes time to heal. Don't lose hope. We tell it to our patients every day. So why is it so damn hard to take my own advice? Two weeks. That's how long I gone back and fourth between the PICU and NICU. Between Zola and Isaac. That's how long I've been waiting for everything to work itself out. But Zola is still sick, and Isaac is still weak.
It's a miracle that Isaac is still alive, but it doesn't feel that way. It doesn't feel like a miracle that my baby grandson is covered in tubes and wires, coding on the daily. Every day he survives is by a hair. I can't hold him. Zola can't hold him. We just look, and wait. Wait for him to get stronger. To heal.
Alex said he was doing well, and we will be able to take him home in a few weeks. But he still has a long road ahead of him, we  all do. It's the truth.
A few days after Zola's c-section, she got an infection, and they were worried about sepsis. Well, I was worried. Everyone else said they had her on antibiotics, she'd be fine. She hasn't visited the baby since the day she named him, since she spiked a fever, and you can't be around a bunch of sick babies when you're sick yourself. Finally she's better today, and her scar is all healed. She shouldn't discharged soon, but it's not like we'll really be going home until Isaac does. This is where we spend all of our time until he's better.
I walk into Zola's room, always crowded with Micheal and the kids, plus all of our family- The Karev's, my sisters, Bailey and Hunt- Everyone.
"Hey there, miss." I say, returning from my brief walk to the coffee cart. She wasn't awake when I left, so this is good morning.
"Everyone, shhhh! Baby report time!" Everyone quiet down and waits for me to give Zola her daily picture and news on the baby, but I have a different idea.
"Actually, I haven't gone to see him yet." I say.
"What? Why not!?" She says.
"I thought maybe you'd like to see him yourself."
"Really! Yes!"
Alex gets a wheelchair and we help her into it, wheeling down to the NICU with everyone close behind.
We lead her in, and she gets up and walks over to where Isaac is. She reaches through the little slot to grab his and, and he squeezes.
A tear rolls downs Zo's cheek, and we all smile at the site of the reunion.
"He's bigger." She says. "He looks bigger. Did he get much bigger?" She asks.
"2 pounds, 9 ounces. That's up by a lot from last week." Alex says, checking the chart.
"His lung function is good, so we can take out the tube that was breathing for him. He can do that on his own now."
"That's great!" I say, and I can tell we all feel the same way.
Micheal and Zola sit beside each other talking, and I stand back with the others to give them some privacy.
"Zola is ready to be discharged, Andrew is filling out the paperwork right now." Jo says, after talking to a nurse who passed along the information.
"Great. She's not gonna like being away from him, though."
Of course, I'm more relieved than anything that she's okay, and I'm starting to feel more confident that the baby will be close behind.
I guess that's how my patients do it. You have to find the good in things, the little ones. One step at a time, one foot in front of the other, until you've walked all the way down the road. We're going home, I think to myself, as we wheel Zola back to her room a few minutes later.
I send everyone else back to work and have Andrew drive the kids home, Zola and Micheal and Ellis and Bailey, safe where they belong.
Now, I go back to the NICU to worry about this little guy.

***Sorry this chapter is kinda bad, next chapter issac will be coming home, so stay tuned. Please vote, I work really hard on these and it makes my day when someone likes my work!!!!! Also, comment how much further you want me to go with this story and what you want to see so I can incorporate ALL ideas!