Chapter Five: Mind over matter

Picture: the locker rooms leading to the Turkish baths

I have been dreading about this shower thing for most of the day. However, as it is often the case, the wait might have been the worst part of it. Now that it's about to happen, I feel somehow relieved. It's because our imaginations do not have boundaries, when reality does.

Right now, I am waiting  near a huge white door with all the other males from the staff, and there is a buzzing atmosphere which makes me feel much better. I mean, if it was so terrible, people wouldn't look so excited, right?

Or maybe people here are so brainwashed that they would actually be happy if they were told to be.

The Masters would tell them, we're going to kill you but don't worry, it's no biggie and these puppets would smile and laugh.

There are actually much more people than I expected. I thought I had met most of the staff by now, I guess I was wrong. All males, most of them beautiful.

I am the tallest one, and next to these cute twinks, I look like a self-conscious teen who wishes for half of the attention that's being given to his little sibblings.

What the fuck am I doing here? The only characteristic I share with them is my gender.

There's at least one guy who might not agree with me, though.

"What are you thinking about, Kyle?"

I turn to face an ever-blushing Angus and I am half-tempted to wink at him. Who knows? Maybe he will faint.

I really wonder what he sees in me.

"I'm just wondering about what's going to happen. I'm so nervous it makes me want to puke" I declare bluntly and he beams at that, his eyes suddenly brighter:

"Don't worry, you'll love it! The Turkish baths are so beautiful, Kyle, I swear! It's the most magnificient room in the whole mansion! And-"

The door opens, and all the murmurs cease.

I can't help but feel a bit disappointed, as I give an uninterested look at the lockers.

Much ado about nothing, old Shakespeare would have said.

"So what, are we all going to a swimming pool?" I ask warily and for once Angus gives me a non- too pleased look.

"Have you not listen to anything I've just said?" he pouts. "We're heading to the Turkish baths! It's actually the time of the day I enjoy the most. Master Malik is the most generous Master we could ever dream of"

Wow. That wasn't exagerated at all. Your critical thinking is going strong, redhaired boy.

"Right" I mumble. "So, can we at least keep our swimming costumes on?"

"No, no costume" the little demon purrs with an happy expression, making my stomach churns in discomfort.

This guy expects too much from me. There's no doubt he will be disillusioned soon. Probably the moment when I'll remove my towel.

"You can keep your towel around your waist until Master Malik comes, though".

I want to add something but we're quickly separated, as everyone rushes to the locker rooms. I carefully lock the door of my stall, before throwing my clothes on the floor.

I don't want to join the others.

I don't want them to see me naked.

I no longer want to be here.

Not wanting to be the last one to get to the Turkish bath, I eventually put a huge towel around my lanky body and open the door.

A small guy with a dark skin gives me a small smile, before he starts walking at a determined pace. I quickly follow him.