Chapter Twenty-Seven: What's bred in the bones will come out in the flesh

ALEX'S POV

"Did you know that your brother was a murderer?"

Oh, God, what's wrong with me? I've never been good at social interractions, but this is a whole new level of socially akward.

"Huh, so, Malik, it's getting cold. Let's head inside, shall we?" I stammer, but of course he grabs my wrist before I can even think of moving away from him.

"You're not going anywhere" he all but growls, something I would have find sexy under different circumstances.

"You can't force me to do anything" I snap back and try to wiggle out of his grasp, but to no avail.

He's getting mad. I can't believe that a mere minutes ago, he was still playing and cuddling with Orion, a delighted smile on his face. Of course, I had to open my big mouth and ruin everything. Maybe I should have stayed in my wolf form forever. I'm sure our relationship would be much more simple and peaceful if Orion was taking over.  Plus, everybody likes him. Unlike me, he's sweet, affectionate and playful. 

To my greatest surprise,  Malik eventually releases me and I take a step back, not sure if he's actually letting me go or if it's a trick. 

Except, Malik doesn't trick people. He always tells what's on his mind and prefers to openly confront someone rather than act behind their back. Funny thing that he turned out to be your mate, because he and you are the complete opposites. Maybe the reason why you don't trust people easily is because of your own unthrustworty personnality. You've already betrayed your best friend, and now you are plotting against your mate's brother without even him knowing. A traitor you are, a traitor you will remain. What is bred in the bones will come out in the flesh, as the saying goes.

I start feeling uncomfortable as he keeps looking at me intently without saying anything. He looks even more handsome when he is angry, his cheeks turning a light pink while his eyes are blazing with a dormant fury.

"Why aren't you restraining me anymore?"

He snorts at my - I realise it now - weird question, although he doesn't look amused in the slightest.

"You're not five anymore, Alex. I believe that for once, you'll talk to me instead of running away like a scared little bunny. I understand that it's difficult for you to open up to people, but you just claimed that my brother was a murderer. Were you really planning to leave me wondering why the fuck you would say such a horrible thing ? He's my family, for Christ's sake! Try to put yourself in my shoes, for once. I'm tired of playing the nanny for you all the time."

He's tired of me. I'm not boyfriend material, which is the reason why I never really had a boyfriend before Malik. I smile grimly at that - the only reason he's with me is because I'm his mate. All I do is whining and let him confort me without giving anything in return. I'm useless. More trouble than I'm worth. He deserves more than that and as much as I wish to remain by his side for ever and a day, I want him to be happy.

Maybe he didn't really mean it. I think he's just saying that because he is angry, my wolf whispers, but I shake my head in negation. I'm happy and relieved that Orion is back, but I forgot his nasty habit to suggercoat everything for me. Of course, Malik meant everything he just said, why wouldn't he? He was just stating facts.

I blink furiously when I feel the tears threatening to spill. Malik already has enough on his plate. No need for me to show him how deeply his words cut, I decide, as I look at him from the corner of my eyes, taking in his now anxious expression. 

"You're right, I'm sorry for being so selfish. I didn't want to tell you like this, but I did plan to let you know at some point. I didn't want to keep things hidden from you but I was scared of your reaction. I will tell you everything now"