Chapter Twenty-Two: All work and no play

The whole hall is buzzing with a mixture of effervescence and dread. I look at my right side and can't help but snort lightly at the sight of Thomas's shining eyes, his cheeks flushed with excitation.

He looks back at me at the sound, his ecstatic expression turning into an annoyed one as he easily deciphers the contempt on my face.

"What is it, Mister Cucumber?" he asks aggressively.

Oh, yeah, right. He once overheard Malik calling me 'little Alex' and he didn't like it, so he decided to give me another nickname. According to him, Mister Cucumber fits me better because I'm "Impossibly tall, skinny, tasteless, looking as dull as the stupidest vegetable"

I shake my head, biting back the snarky comment I want to throw his way - Malik did make me promise to avoid getting into arguments with Thomas and I don't want to break my promise on day one, especially not when all the Masters are around.

Mister Cucumber, though? How old is he, five?

I sigh, before replying as quietly as I can:

"I just don't get why most of the staff looks overjoyed. It's the first time since I got there that the Masters are summoning us all at the same time, it cannot be good."

He smirks at that, his annoyance slowly dissipating to let room to his usual disdainful attitude.

"Oh, I see what it is. Little Alex is scared. Are you hiding something? Now is a good time as any to clear your conscience. Come on, you can tell Thomas everything"

I don't reply anything this time, my jaw tightening in anger.

How dares he? He can call me Mister Cucumber all he wants, I have been called much worst, but Little Alex is Malik's surname for me. I won't let him call me that, especially in such a derogatory tone.

A feather-like touch on my left arm is all it takes to calm me down. I look down at Angus' sweet face, feeling as guilty as always for not being able to reciprocate his affection.

"Don't mind him" he whispers, making me frown because although his expression is pretty blank, there is an hint of amusement in his voice that I don't understand, given the situation.

"Are you not worried at all?" I whispers back, making Thomas laugh.

This time, I have to fight back the urge to hit him in the balls. Rude bastard.

"No, not really. They probably want to talk to us about the upcoming Ceremony. It's pretty exciting, since it's a major annual event here. They are hosting very powerful families of vampires for a week and three days." he explains. "It means much more work for us than usual,  since everyone has to take part in the preparations. However, it also means a week and a half of eating delicious food in a magnificient decor. You also get more free time to yourself during the Ceremony, since the Masters are too busy with their guests."

He keeps on talking but I stop listening to him, the word 'Ceremony' stuck to my mind.

I've heard this word before. When was it? Right, I remember, now. They were the ones talking about a Ceremony.

I look up and sure enough,  Serena and Juliette are already looking at me, from the opposite side of the room.

I gasp, before immediately adverting my gaze. As if I could forget that I'm supposed to meet them at dawn! It's only ten in the morning, though, meaning that there is still a long time to go before I am meeting with them.

Not wanting to focus on Serena, Thomas or even Angus, since I don't want him to get his hopes up, I let my gaze wandering.

Of course, my treacherous eyes have to land on him.