Chapter Twenty-Eight: Knockin on Heaven's door

Of course, I have my doubts about the whole thing. 

I believe my mate, but what if his brother has lied to him about Serena? 

Malik doesn't appear to me to be someone who could be easily fooled, though.

Yeah, but then he said himself that the people he loved the most were hiding things from him.

Just trust me, he insisted. I do. Even though I am not particularly happy at the idea of going against Serena, for who I still have the utmost respect, despite what she intends to do, I am still somehow a bit happy that Malik trusts me enough to involve me in his plan. 

Even if he wasn't my mate, I would have probably still sided with him, given as he, contrary to Serena, doesn't intend to kill anyone. 

We will catch her in the act, he said. Then she and her daughter will have no other choices but to leave the Island and never come back. 

I trust my mate, which is the reason why I agreed not to tell anything and to carry on with Serena's initial plan.

At least, it keeps me busy and I don't have time to think about what Malik said to me when he found out that I was involved in a plan to murder his brother - although in the end I probably wouldn't have done it. I have never killed a human being or a supernatural creature, which is quite unheard of for a werewolf.

I'm not trying to pass off as a Saint by admitting such things. I have never killed anyone, but I was stilled banned from my pack for treason and attempted murder. It is very rare for a wolf to be banned from their pack, as it is the harshest form of punishment. 

Well, some packs still have Death Penalty, but in my former pack we didn't. I am wondering if Darren would have killed me, if we did. I don't think so. He is very intimidating, but he hates resorting to violence. Plus, he knows it would have been hard on Kyle, who is a very sensitive person, despite all his best efforts to appear tough and unconcerned.

In a way, one could say that I am a failed murderer, which, from a moral perspective, is hardly better than a successful one, although it changes everything for the victim and their loved ones. 

Most of all, I am a traitor. Even my mate said so. 

Well, he implied it. 

You betrayed my trust, he said. 

I am tired of being your nanny. 

Tired. If someone's tired of you it means it's the beginning of the end. 

Don't cry. 

Let's just focus on the task at end, without thinking about anything else. Hopefully, it will end soon without blood being spilled.

After that, If Malik still wants me, I will - of course, he doesn't want me anymore. He just needs my help to put his brother out of danger and to get rid of Serena. 

I shouldn't think about what I will do if Malik doesn't want me anymore. It takes my mind to places that are far too dark. 

I know that it's wrong and that I should be able to live without Malik by my sides, but I can't help how I feel. 

I was used to live on my own, to sleep in cold places and to have my mind constantly filled with self-depreciating and suicidal thoughts. At some point, it even became normal to me. I forgot that I could have lived differently. 

He shattered all that sinister, yet safe little world in which I was surviving. Without noticing it, I began enjoying warmth again. He showered me with so much affection that I realized that I hadn't been living at all these last few years. In fact, one could say that I had been existing, and that is all.