Chapter Thirty: The Waterfall

Okay, forget what I've written before: there will be two more chapters. Or three. Alex & Malik don't want to leave me alone ^^"

We're leaving the Island. Today. The ferry will be there to pick us in a couple of hours and Malik and I are currently chilling on his king-size bed.

No, nothing bad happened. Malik told his family about us, and their reactions were better than what I had expected. Of course, they weren't ecstatic to learn about Malik being in a relationship with a werewolf, but I guess they were relieved that he finally found his soulmate and wouldn't be alone anymore.

They should be relieved. I am aware that I have to work harder on rebuilding my self-confidence, but I know now that he cares for me deeply and I am not leaving him again. Period. I won't keep running away my whole life when I was the one to tell Kyle to stop fleeing from arising difficulties and to start talking to his mates.

So, the vampires weren't too upset, yet the only member of the family who seemed sincerely joyful about the news was Rose. She hugged me and even whispered "I knew my brother could only be mated to someone truly special. That's why he had to wait for so long to find his mate. Welcome to the Huserdown family, doll" in my ears.

They all laughed when my cheeks turned crimson at her unexpected and undeserved words. Cheeky bloodsuckers. Oops. I mean, facetious Masters. That's right, I'm still under their command, for the remaining few hours.

As you probably already figured it out, the only shadow in the picture is Killian. He wasn't there when we got back, and since then, he has been nowhere to be seen. Malik pretends it's better this way, because he doesn't know what he would do if their paths were to cross again.

Still, I wish they could at least talk before our departure. I know his brother means - meant?- the world to him, and that he is deeply affected by his betrayal. I won't tell Malik about it, because I know that he would try to convince me that it isn't true, but I feel like I am partly to blame for their quickly deterioriating relationship.

He said that he doesn't want to leave the Island just because of his brother and that he longs to build a new life with me, which he cannot do while he is living in the same house as the rest of his family.

Still, I Don't see how Killian can make amends, if Malik is far away.

I wish there was a quick way to fix it, but knowing my mate, it will take time before he can even consider forgiving his brother.

"What are you thinking about so deeply, little Alex?"

"Huh? Nothing in particular, why?" I reply sheepishly, mentally face-palming myself when I realise that the film is no longer playing and that I was too absorbed in my thoughts to notice.

"Really? Then please, do tell, what is the film about?"

Shit.

"It's -uh... about a love story between... between a poor yet kind-hearted man and a very rich and cruel lady"

"God, no, I wouldn't want to watch something that sounds that cliché. I pride myself on being a selective prick. The movie is about an English teacher who encourages his students to seize the day and to think for themselves through unorthodox ways of teaching, mainly poetry**"

"Yeah, of course I know that! I was just pulling your leg!" I lie in a very unconvincing way.

He smiles at that, a mischevious gleam in his eyes that makes me shiver in excitement - I mean, in fear.

Before I have time to come up  with a better explanation, he is looming over me, forcing me to look up at him as I instinctively lay back against the cushion.