Chapter Thirteen: Love bite

"He bit me. He's feeding from me."

Why the hell did I have to be so weak and tell Malik the truth? Now this is going to be an even bigger mess. I don't want anyone else to know about it but if Thomas ever hears about it, then the whole island will soon know every little details. Never in my life have I met such a noisy guy. A noisy guy who can't keep his mouth shut.

What will Malik do to Lucas? They are supposed to be friends, after all.

And what will he do to me? Surely, he will want to ask more questions now. Questions that I'm not ready to answer yet.

I'm no longer looking at him, I can't, but he grabs my chin, forcing me to look up while his other hand is on my left hip, pulling me closer to him.

I can't help but notice the gentleness of his touch, which contrasts deeply with the blazing fury I can see in his eyes.

I hope I will never be the recipient of such angst, because right now he looks scarier than Death itself.

I try to step back when he makes a move to remove the bandage on my neck but he swiftly grabs both of my wrists in one hand, before resuming to remove the bandage with the other.

He's not supposed to overpower me so easily. I'm a werewolf, not a fragile human. I suppose it's because Lucas has been drinking my blood for so long.

I weakly struggle against, hating the feeling of helplessness that arises at my feeble attempt at getting free.

"I'm sorry, Alex" he whispers against my ear, as if he could read my mind. "I know you don't want me to see it, but I have to."

"But-why?"

"I have to check that the wound isn't infected. Vampires' bites shouldn't be taken lightly, especially when said vampires are just plain brutes who drink from others without their consent"

I tiredly nod at that and he finishes removing the bandage before gasping, an incredulous expression on his youthful face.

"What now?"

"Shit. I'm going to slowly destroy the motherfucker. He will understand the true meaning of 'pain' "

I let out a feeble laugh at that. "That's so cliche. What are you, a villain in bad action movies? It's not working man, you don't scare me" I joke, trying to ease up his mood even so slightly but his frown only deepens at my words.

"Be serious just a minute, will you? It got infected, Alex. That's why it turned this horrible color. You should have come to me sooner. You should have come to me the second he bit you. Why didn't you do so?"

His voice is still soft, but the slight tightening of his hold on my wrists tells me how unhappy he is with the whole situation.

"I was scared" I eventually admit, after the silence stretches out and I realize he's waiting for me to answer.

"Scared? Scared of what?"

"I- I can't tell you " I mumble and he sighs, before his features soften slightly and he starts caressing my neck with his hand in soothing motions.

"You really are a man of many mysteries, Alex. Anyway, everthing in its own time. We have to take care of this first" he adds, lightly brushing the wound on my neck.

"Maybe but - what do we do? How? Do you have medications for that?"

He snorts, shaking his head.

"Of course I don't. There's no medication to cure vampires' bites."

My hope deflates at that, but only for a few seconds, as he immediately puts my worries at ease by adding: