Chapter Eighteen: Shiny happy people

I don't know how long I've been staying in the room. Long enough for me to start feeling cold, long enough for my body to become cranky after staying for so long in a sitting position. I could pretend I feel guilty, but the truth is, I feel numb. 

Empty. My emotions are somehow gone, and while it should be a relief, it feels scary. I don't think I want to go back to the emotionless state I was in before meeting Malik. 

From the window, I can see Kyle and Darren talking to each other in the garden. They're not looking in my direction, allowing me to look at them closely without being seen. Since the weather is pretty mild today, they are only wearing tee-shirts and light trousers. They form a beautiful picture together.

 My former friend is currently laying on the grass, with his head on Darren's laps. The alpha's hand is running endlessly through his mate's thick brown hair, in an obvious attempt to comfort him. Is it working? It's hard to tell from afar.

I hurt Kyle's feelings once again. I thought talking about what happened between me and Adrien would help mending things between us, but apparently I was wrong. 

Things are even worse now. 

I should man up and leave the false safety of the room, I should do it now that Darren and Kyle are still outside. I can't be in this house anymore, but at the same time, I'm afraid to go out, to look at Kyle in the eyes and to read in them the confirmation of what I already know. 

He is never going to forgive me. 

Maybe he talked to my mate, too. Maybe Malik has finally come to the realization that I am not worthy of him. 

Opening the door as slowly as I can, I send a quick "thank you" to the Goddess of Cowards when the door doesn't make a single sound. 

Taking a few careful steps, I get as close as I can to the living-room without being seen. Recognizing my mate's scent, I am about to step in, but I stop dead in my tracks when I hear Nate's voice. 

"Oh, but there are different types of punishments. You just have to find out what Alex's kinks are. I can't give you any details, or else Kyle would kill me, but let's just say that this tough-looking guy is waaay more kinky than I originally thought. I swear, the boy is a blessing. So soft and pliant and cute. Our sex life is anything but boring"

" I can't wait to explore this aspect of Alex's personnality, too"

"Oh, but I bet Alex is-"

I quickly press my hands against my ears as I feel my face becoming significantly hotter. That's it! I've heard enough! Youngsters have no common decency nowadays. 

With my hands still carefully pressed against my ears, I chance a quick look into the room, to find my mate and Nate standing way too close to each other for my liking. They are laying on the couch on their stomachs, in a position wich make them look both young and carefree. 

Since when are they so friendly with each other? 

The couch is very big, so why do they have to lay side by side?

For a few seconds, I am tempted to step into the room and push Nate off the couch but I refrain, barely managing to keep my growing furor at bay. I go to the bathroom, at the opposite side of the chalet, as quietly as I can. 

I have no right to act like a jealous lover, when I have done nothing to deserve such a title. Just because the Goddess made a mistake by pairing us together doesn't mean that I should listen to my feelings and court a man who is a thousand times better than me. Time to act properly, Alex. At least once.