Chapter Seventeen: Story time

In almost every story, especially the ones for children, there's a villain. Villains usually share similar characteristics -  they are easily recognizable by their ugly features, they are outcasts whose only purpose is to be eventually defeated by the hero. 

Witches, giants, wizards, werewolves- you name it. They are different, and thus deemed dangerous. As they can't be integrated to the society, they usually live in secluded places, such as forests or mountains. 

Now, to the main question: why do villains so badly want to harm the hero? 

Again, their motives are usually depicted as quite simple: they are driven by their oversized ego. They want power, more than anything else in the world, and  they are willing to eliminate anything or anyone who stands in their paths. 

Fortunately, in children's stories, heroes are always victorious and we all know how they live 'happily ever after'.

What about the villains? Tss, who cares?  Why do you ask? The villains end up dead or imprisoned. End of the story. 

Don't put words into my mouth. I am not saying that villains shouldn't be punished. I'm saying it's time for writers to stop oversimplifying villains. 

Behind every villain, there is an infinite pannel of reasons, motives, desires, fears and feelings who motivated their actions. 

Let's go back to the main question: why do villains so badly want to harm the hero? 

Call me naive, but I believe that, at the root of every devilish act, there's an old, well-hidden pain. 

Peace and Love is an amazing credo, but I guess it can't happen as long as healing old wounds is not our main priority. 

As a singer once said: "Hatred is a sorrow that got infected" ***

"Alex? Baby, are you with us?"

Vampires. Heartless creatures, cold blood, fear the light of the sun, drink the blood of their victims to the last drop. 

Another bag of bullshit. The stories I read as a child? Bullshit, bullshit. How can it be true when the vampire who is holding me close against him is so warm? 

Warm. That's the word that fits him best. 

Warm. Even when he's angry, even when his eyes and voice turn as cold as ice. 

Warm. 

"Traitor! Do you think we have all day?"

"Shut up, dog! Next time you call my mate traitor  will be the last time you ever talk."

"Dog? That's the best you could come up with? Oh, and in case you didn't know, your mate is also a werewolf, so I guess you fell in love with a member of the canine species.

"Nate, babe, I told you to reign in your anger. And you, bloodsucker, watch your tone when you adress my mate"

"Tss! I can take both of you doggies in a fight whenever"

"Oh yeah? Wanna bet on that?"

I slowly open my eyes, to find Kyle sending me a look of consternation and I know he is thinking the same as me.

We have to get ride of our mates for a while, or we will never be able to have a conversation. 

"Malik-"