Chapter 3:Somebody's Somebody part 1

January 26 2001

Angelica's POV
It's been 3 years since her encounter with Prince.A lot has happened since then.She just got out of a relationship ,had a miscarriage and quit her job at the hospital.She decided to give Gary a chance after all,and after much begging and pleading she went out on a date with him.They went out on a very romantic date and he treated her very well.They started a relationship and things were going great .....until she found out she was pregnant.That's when the trouble started.He said he  wasn't ready to be a father and that she should 'get rid of it'.As if it were  some unwanted disease ,instead of a living child.They used to argue everyday and due to stress ,she had a miscarriage.He was relieved of course, but she was already bitter. So she pulled away from him,because she didn't trust him anymore.Then he started cheating on her with her collegue.So when they broke up,she was too embarrassed to work there,so she quit her job.

That was 6 months ago.Today is her 35th birthday. She didn't  feel like celebrating,so she shut herself in her tiny apartment.Usually,she would put on a Prince CD and enjoy his music.But ever since that day she never touched a Prince record again.She turned off the tv everytime he was on and she stopped following updates about him.
Due to her pregnancy and all the stress she had gained some weight.She started emotionally eating and found comfort in food.She still looked good ,but her once flat tummy showed signs of weight gain.She didn't care though.Today she sat in front of the tv with a bowl of ice cream.Her favourite flavor :chocolate chip.Suddenly she heard knocking at her door.When she opened it ,Dominique stood on the porch with a small cupcake in her hand.The cupcake had a small candle on it.
".....happy birthday dear Angie ,happy birthday to youuu..'" She sang.Angelica forced a smile and just said:"Thanks"
Dominique frowned at her friend's response.
"Hey why are you so blue?It's your birthday girl!Where is the music?Why aren't you celebrating?"
"Because I don't feel like it."
"Angelica ,stop feeling sorry for yourself.You are better than this.Gary is a jerk who did not deserve you.Don't beat yourself up like this."
"But it still hurts,Dom" she said softly as her eyes welled up with tears.
"I lost a baby,I don't think I will ever get over it"
Dominique watched as Angelica took a big scoop of ice cream and placed it into her mouth. She couldn't help but feel sorry for her.She has been through so much already.
"I understand you Ange,I really do.But try to live again.Life doesn't stop now.You deserve to be happy too.You are shutting yourself out from the world and that is wrong.Look,Ange I have a surprise for you.Let's go out tonight. I can't stand you moping around on your birthday.Let's go celebrate girl!"
Domique tried to lighten the mood by making jokes.It seemed to work because Angelica started laughing.
"Alright Dom,....but where are we going?"
"It's a surprise" Dom said mysteriously
"Hmmm.....I don't trust you" she joked
"I don't want to end up drunk somewhere.."
"Hey now!I'm officially offended."
"You'll get over it"
Dominique giggled as her friend rolled her eyes at her.
"Ok ,now come on and blow your candles,make a wish and let's go"
Angelica blew the candle and made her wish:"I wish to be happy again"
She took a shower and prepared herself for the surprise.She wondered what the surprise was,but Dom was so tight lipped about it.She wore a dark red dress that hugged her curves at just the right places. She was a bit self conscious about her tummy,so she chose a black and gold shawl to cover it up.She wore some black ankle boots to finish it off.Her curls were tied in a loose bun.She didn't put on much make up.Only some red lipstick and some mascara,and she was ready to go.Dom returned to pick her up and when she saw her ,she started to whiste.
"Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!You go girl!"
Angelica just smiled and said:"Okay let's get this over with"
"Why do you sound like I'm bringing you to the slaughterhouse?"
"Because that's how it feels"
Dominique just chuckled and shook her head.
"Girl,you crazy.Come on"
As they stepped into the car ,Dom drove them to their destination.Suddenly she saw a familiar building.....Paisley Park?!What is going on??
Dominique rode up the parking lot and parked the car.
"Dom what are we doing here?I don't want to be here"Dominique sighed and replied:
" Angelica,Prince is having a benefit concert today  and I managed to get us 2 tickets.Come on,Angie,you can't hold a grudge on the man this long. Just try to understand, he was in pain.You of all people should know what he felt.You recently lost a child too."
Angelica thought about Dominique's reasoning and she was right.She could be too sensitive sometimes.
"Ok ,Dom you're right.Thanks,you're a good friend."
"You're welcome ,and you're not so bad yourself.Now let's go see the concert."

It was 9 PM and the concert would start at 10 PM,so they were a bit early.The guards let them in after searching them.On stage Prince was doing a soundcheck and they took their seats and enjoyed his banter with the band.
"Gimme a C-minor" he said in his deep voice.Angelica noticed that he looked a bit different now.His hair was longer and his clothes were tighter.But she noticed that he has matured.She asked herself where Mayte was.Immersed in her thoughts ,she did not realize that he was looking at her.
"Look,he's looking at you.Do something"
So Angelica smiled a little and waved at him.He smiled back.

After the sound check he walked up to her.
"Well,if it isn't nurse Angel.Long time no see.To what do I owe the privilege of this visit?"
"Hello Mr.Nelson....-"
"Call me Prince"
"Ok...hello Prince. It's my birthday today and my friend surprised me with a ticket to see you play."
"Oh is it your birthday?Well happy birthday.How old are you today?"
"35...umm this is my friend Dominique"
"Hello ,Dominique,nice to meet you.You are very fortunate to have a friend like Angelica."
Thank you Prince ,nice to meet you too.And she is fortunate to have me as a friend too."She replied with a smile.
Prince chuckled :"Ofcourse ofcourse,touché "
Angelica was still cautious because of what had happened,so she didn't say much.Prince sensed her caution so he decided it was time to make amends.
"Angelica...ummm I would like to apologize for what has happened before.I hope you will let me make it up to you today"
Before Angelica could answer,Dominique shouted :"Yes,she will!"
Angelica looked at the man and shyly replied:"S-sure,sure don't worry about it.I understand."
"Wait a minute,it's your birthday. You want me to hook you up?"
"Okay"
Prince called his security guard and whispered something in his ear. The guard came up to the two ladies.
"Could you follow me ma'am?"
The guard led them to the VIP area and they were seated in a comfortable couch.A waitress came and served them champagne.The lights went on and the show was about to start.
"How're y'all doing?!"
The crowd cheered.
"Y'all ready to get funky tonight" The crowd went wild.Angelica enjoyed every second of the show.The music was great.He played some old songs and some new.One thing was certain:he knew how to work a crowd .Angelica noticed him constantly looking her way during the show,as if he was serenading her.She felt her cheeks get warm, as she started to blush.Dominique watched them and smiled.Her plan succeeded.She wanted Angelica to feel good about herself.She deserved it.She knew that Prince's music was the only thing that could heal her and change her mood.And to be serenaded by him was just icing on the cake.

Just before the show ended,the security guard came up to them and said:"Ma'am the boss requested to meet you after the show"
After the show the waitress who served them champagne led them backstage. There they saw Prince walk up to them with some red roses and a box of chocolate.
"Sorry,this was all I could arrange last minute.But I hope you enjoy this.Happy birthday,Angel"
"Thank you,I have to look at my weight ,though.I've gained some pounds." She replied a bit embarrassed ,as she tried to cover up herself.
Prince saw what she was trying to do,so he said:
"No,leave it open.You are beautiful, Angelica, inside and out.Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."
She didn't say a word and just looked at him.
"Angelica ...can I call you some time?To talk maybe?"
"I would love that?But wouldn't your wife have a problem with it?"
"Umm...Mayte and I are no longer together."Seeing the shock on her face he continued:" We went our seperate ways because it was what's best for both of us."
And that was all he chose to say about the situation.They exchanged numbers and before he left he kissed her on the cheek.
"Bye Angel,talk to you later...."

To be continued.....