The One with the Memories

Bright, sunny winter days covered with snow are my all time favorite days. They are cozy and remind you that Christmas is right around the corner. Everyone is so joyful and merry, preparing for the season of giving. 

As I stared out the window in Joey's living room and sipped my coffee, a warm feeling settled in me, from the top of my head all the way to my toes. I was happy, happier than I had been in years. But with my luck, I knew something was about to change. 

I checked the clock again and saw that it read nine o'eight in the morning still and I knew that Joey was not awake yet. That was one difference between the two of us-- I was a morning person, whereas Joey slept in until the afternoon. It was something I couldn't stand, waiting for him to get up. I decided that I might as well go over to Monica's and Rachel's and see what they're up to.

Hopping into my slippers and putting down my mug, I crossed the hallway and knocked on the door. Almost immediately a disheveled Monica opened it, still in her robe and her hair shaken up. 

"Hey, Naomi," Monica's bright smile shined on me, "Wanna come in for breakfast?"

"That actually sounds great, thanks," I return her smile with one equally as bright. She led me inside and immediately the smell of bacon sizzling on the stove hit my nostrils. Chandler was also there sitting on the couch, also in his robe. Hm, it's no wonder what he was doing here.

"Chan, hey," I pat him on top of the head and he jumps in shock.

"Jesus, Naomi, you scared me," Chandler whipped his head around to look at me.

"Were you asleep?" I giggled, hiding my smile behind my hand. Chandler nodded his head, his cheeks showing pink out of embarrassment.

"Hey you two, breakfast is ready," Monica called towards us. Chandler leaped over the couch, almost landing on top of me. I squealed and rushed to the chair as if we were racing each other. I snatched the orange juice out of his hand and poured myself a glass. 

Breakfast was delicious and I ate every crumb off my plate. While Chandler told us a work story about how some guy thinks his name is Toby, there is a knock on the door. Monica stands up and rushes to the door.

"Hi Mon. Is Naomi here?" I heard a familiar, deep voice from the doorway.

"Yeah, she's over here," Monica brings Joey into the kitchen. I bite my lip as I take in his appearance. He was still wearing his pajamas-- sweatpants and a grey sweatshirt. His hair was tossed around, face unshaven, and bunny slippers on.

"Oh, thank God. I thought maybe she had run away again," Joey chuckled at his own joke, but I could also hear the nervousness come through in his voice. What was that about?

"Do you want to join us for some grub, Joe?" Chandler raises the pot of coffee up, offering it to him. 

"Yeah, I'll take some bacon. But then I have to go get ready...I'm going to visit my parents today," Joey's voice drifted and softened as his eyes glossed over a bit. I narrowed my eyes as I watched him and then looked at Chandler curiously. Chandler shrugged, obviously not knowing what was going on either.

"I'll go back to the apartment with you. I need to work on my story some more," I stood up in my chair and brought the dishes to the sink. 

"I got the dishes, go figure out what's up with him," Monica muttered under her breath to me. I shot her a look of relief and touched her arm softly. I turned away and made my way towards the door as Joey followed me out.

"So...why didn't you tell me where you went?" Joey called after me as I entered his bedroom, about to pick out an outfit. I looked over my shoulder, my eyebrows furrowed with concern to look at Joey. 

"Sorry, I didn't want to wake you. I know how much you like your sleep," I try to respond in a lighthearted tone and continue to go through my drawer, but I couldn't keep the unsureness out of it.

I heard Joey sit down on the bed, the noise creaking behind me. "You should've told me." His voice was stern and serious. I'd never heard him talk like that before. I whipped around, eyes widened and heart pounding. What the hell was going on with him?

"Joey, I said I was sorry," My shoulders tensed, ready to put my defense up. His eyes were so intense as he stared up at me, arms crossed and jaw set.

"I was worried," His voice raised slightly and I gulped in fear. My chest started to rise and fall in terror, memories starting to sprout up in my brain. Bad, scary memories that I thought I had stored away forever.

"I...I didn't know...I-" 

"I don't fucking care if you didn't know! You were selfish! You didn't think," Joey basically screamed at me as he shoved his arms down on the bed to push himself up, standing and hovering above me. I cowered in fear, my jaw quivering, and breath caught in my throat. Tears threatened to fall from my eyes. Joey had never yelled at me before. Ever. And it reminded me of them, of my old life.

I spun around and grabbed some clothes from my dresser drawer and shoved them into my overnight bag. I bit my tongue to keep the tears from flowing and determinedly packed.

"What the hell are you doing?" Joey asked in a much softer voice, replaced with worry now.

"Packing. I'm going. You're not gonna fucking yell at me like that," I bit out at him and zipped up my bag, slinging it behind my back. Joey's hands gripped my shoulders and I ripped myself away.

"Don't fucking touch me."

Everything came back, filling me to the brim. Him, with clenched fists, hovering over me. The bruises. Her shrieking voice, telling me I would never be anything.

That was the last thing I remembered before it all went black.

+++

When I opened my eyes, I was met with soft, yellow light and a figure hovering above me. Panic seeped within me and I quickly sat up, but regretted that immediately. 

"Whoa," His voice rung in my ears, slowing my heart rate. "Slow down. You're okay."

My eyes adjusted to the light and I looked around. It was all familiar. I was still in Joey's room, lying on his bed. He was sitting next to me, his hand holding mine to his chest.

"Shit, you scared me back there," Joey sucked in and released a more relaxed breath. I gulped and looked away, avoiding his eyes.

"Do you wanna tell me what that was about?" He pushed a bit more, prodding me to say something.

"Maybe you should tell me," I pointed out, still not looking at him in the eyes.

"How about you tell me first, and then I'll tell you," Joey suggested in a soft, comforting voice as he softly ran his fingers through my hair. It made me melt and I finally met his eyes. My heart nearly stopped in my chest. Could he be any cuter right now?

"Okay...I just have a bad history with being yelled at and...physically hurt," I couldn't look at him as I said it, shifting my eyes to look over his shoulder. Joey's fingers slowed and softly took my chin to make me look back to him. He didn't say anything but I knew he was listening.

"My parents...weren't very nice to me." I kept it at that, refusing to say any more. For now.

"Shit, Naomi. I'm so sorry, I didn't know..." Joey ran a hand through his hair, sighing in frustration. "I...I just kind of lost it. I don't want to lose you again and I got scared. And...I'm visiting my grandma with my parents today...in the hospital. She's really sick. It's not an excuse, but I've just been on edge..."

"If you wanted me to tell you if I ever leave in the morning, you should've just told me. And as for your grandma, I'm really sorry. That's terrible...Do you want me to go with you?"

Joey glanced up at me, a soft smile etching his features. "That would be amazing...so, do you forgive me?"

"Mmm, if you give me a kiss I might."

Joey softly placed his lips on top of my lips, slowly moving them against mine. I could get lost kissing him for hours. This is a dangerous game we're playing, but I'm all in.

+++