Part Thirty Six

Ferris

Five months later...

I walked down the hall, the morning sun shining just barely through the grey and cloudy sky. A few maids waved and bowed while I lightly nodded in acknowledgement. Five months have passed since the incident and I've all but recovered. I've made amends and tied off loose ends. The Coronation was pushed way back which, of course, caused another riot. Winter had begun, thus bringing it's unforgiving weather and snow. I was on my way to the banquet hall where I was supposed to be thirty minutes ago but a certain kitty kept me distracted. I managed to make it to the banquet hall before my uncle and my cousins made their appearance but of course my lateness wouldn't go unchecked by my father. I swung open the massive doors and instantly met eyes with my father who was clutching his cutlery so hard it looked like it was about to bend.

Since the incident he's been less harsh on me. He's becoming more and more like the father I used to know, and less like the king he presented himself as. However, he couldn't help but revert back even the tiniest bit when it came to events like these. Mother has been even more overbearing, not even letting me take a stroll in the palace garden without a guard or two. She's always on edge whenever I'm out of site, but I can't really blame her. I greeted her, before taking a seat to my father's left. "You're late, Ferris." He stiffly spoke. I rolled my eyes. "Only by thirty minutes. And it's Uncle Claude! Lighten up," I urged. "I do not lighten up."

I snorted and noticed a small quirk from the corner of his mouth. A sign that he was smiling. "Remember Ferris, they are here to see you. So don't lock yourself in your room and avoid your cousins." He ordered making me groan. "But you know how annoying they can get. What about that time Selene almost smashed my window- or, or they nearly ran over Urla-" there were noises outside, and the banquet doors started opening. "Ferris?" He spoke.

"Yes father?"

"Shut up. They're here."

I tried my best not to snort again but the smile that appeared on my face was hard to cover up. The doors swung open and Uncle Claude appeared with my three cousins. Father shot up with a wide smile. "Brother!" He boomed, Uncle Claude gaining his own wide smile. "Merlin! You don't look a day older than when we last saw each other!" He exaggerated. The last time they saw eachother was when I turned eighteen. Speaking of which, my birthday was in a couple of weeks which caused a excited buzz to take place. We all got up and greeted our family with hugs and handshakes. Selene hadn't grown an inch but had definitely changed. Her soft features had become more evident, long lashes framed her face and a faint pink glow hovered over her cheeks.

Gideon and Arthur were identical twins and easily towered me. Unlike Selene, they had sharp features and had ink black skin unlike their sister due to Uncle Claude's poly relationship they had different father's. However, we all shared the same platinum locks and emerald eyes. Genetics for us were weird like that. "It's been forever since we last saw you!" Selene exclaimed and I nodded in agreement. "Arthur and Gideon. Still up to no good, I presume?" I teased earning Cheshire grins from both the boys. "Obviously, cousin!" Arthur scoffed. I turned to my uncle who pulled my in for a tight hug. "There's my favourite nephew!"

"Uncle, I'm your only nephew." I huffed with a small smile. He patted my back. "I know, I know. I'm always telling your father to have another one.." he sighed. "Birth isn't as beautiful as people cut it out to be. It's a mess." Mother chimed in. Uncle Claude laughed then greeted her with another hug. "Where are your husbands, brother-dearest?" Father asked. "Onyx and Bennett are taking care of whatever work I left behind. We all wanted them to come but it simply wasn't an option." He stated. I was a little disappointed. I wouldn't get to see Uncle O or Uncle Ben until another major event and that'd most likely be the Coronation. We all sat down in our respective seats and continued our conversation. Arthur and Gideon were joking around as per usual and Selene started talking about how she had recently met someone, but Gideon had to tease his sister by claiming that this was her fifth boyfriend this week.

Maybe they weren't as bad as I remember. I was eighteen and most likely a little bit moody. It was all fun and games until Uncle Claude decided to bring up the bomb. There had been an ongoing investigation and a few new leads had popped up. They tried tracking the number they used to contact me but it led to an abandoned warehouse that had been rotting for a long time. No signs of anyone or anything living in there. Nothing. It put me on edge knowing whoever did this was still out there. The feeling of being watched was always there, even when I didn't realize it. I didn't have anyone to hold me at night- to keep me safe and warm. Zaelyn and Fraener weren't here. I shook the thought away. It's been five months, Ferris.

"Have you contacted them at all since?" Claude asked. I peeped up at him with a confused look. He chuckled. "Zaelyn and Fraener. I heard the two grew up to be quite the gentlemen!" He exclaimed causing me to shrink into my seat. I didn't want to hear about them. Everytime someone mentioned their name it was like taking a blow to the stomach. It was just too painful. After what I did to Zaelyn at the hospital Cosmo found me in the bathroom and helped me sober up before escorting me to my father who was all to ready to leave. After that begun three long, grueling months of interrogation. They inspected each photo and luckily there were none that were too incriminating about our secret rendezvous. They asked about why I hid this from everyone and I lied. I said I didn't want to come back home, that i felt so lonely here and to a point it was true. Then that started family therapy which we still have now, every Tuesday night.

"I haven't had any contact with them since the incident." I bit out. He simply nodded as food began being placed in the table in silver trays by maids. I've moved on now. I can get on with my life without bothering Zaelyn or Fraener ever again and they can do the same. The consorts will be arriving a day before my birthday and everything will be smooth sailing from there. No problems, no implications- no anything. "Oh! I completely forgot." My father spoke up again. We all turned our heads to his direction and everything went dead silent. My father may becoming more of a friendlier figure but the hold he had over a room, even full of family was still there. "Fraener and Zaelyn will be attending the party. Naturally."

Fuck.