Part Forty One

Ferris

I was woken up at the ungodly hour of five a.m just to get ready for greeting the guests that were to attend my birthday three weeks away. Maybe it was also due to the fact that my suitors were going to make an appearance. I felt nervous while I slipped on the long silky robe on. It had a dark green belt that hugged my waist and have the loose fabric figure while silts on the sides trimmed with the same green material gave way for my arms to fit through.

The fabric was sheer and slightly translucent so I was slightly exposed. Surely they won't be able to see my chest from where they'll be standing. We were supposed to sit on our thrones while the guests were introduced. I sighed to try and relieve the rapid beating of my heart but it must have gotten ten times faster when mother burst through the double doors to the fitting room which was where my outfit was getting double checked for any loose ends her stray threading.

"Ferris! You must wear this necklace I found it in that box you keep just lying around in your room!" She exclaimed, running over to me and holding up the necklace. I still felt uneasy around her though it was just a suspicion that she actually knew the secrets father didn't want to tell me.

She held it up to my face and I instantly felt a wave of melancholy. It was the heart necklace Zaelyn had gotten me. After the explosion it had a single crack running down the middle- ironically. I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of it, so I packed it up in a box. "I'm not wearing that." I mumbled while brushing my hands down my clothes. She tsk'd and looking closely at the peice of jewelry. "Is it because it has a crack? No one will notice." She argued. I pursed my lips into a fine line and stepped down from the stool I was on. The women fitting me seemed to have finished checking for any blemishes. "I said I don't want to wear it." I sighed then slipped on the simple slippers that mother had chosen. They weren't too flashy as the clothes were enough already. The room fell silent for a minute or two and the only sound came from outside where maids and guards were bustling about.

I turned to face my mother and instantly noticed the tears welling up in her eyes. I bit back a groan and braved myself for the tight hug that was sure to come. I was correct and felt the air in my lungs get knocked out of me as she crushed my sides. "You're all grown up now!" She wailed. I rolled my eyes but patted her back anyway.

The doors swung open and mother immediately ran to close them. Father walked over with a smile, as if we didn't just have a fight. "You look great, Ferris." He beamed. I nodded and muttered a thanks before grabbing the long robe and pulling it to to my waist. This thing was way too long. This all took three hours and now it was eight. This meant that I was supposed to be on my way to the throne room right now.

"I've come to tell you that you're supposed to be-"

"Oh my god! We're supposed to be on our way already!" Mother filled in. She grabbed my arm, dusted off my clothes and sprinted to the door. We paused and for a second I allowed myself to feel the anxiety building up. I clutched my stomach willed away the fear. This is what was supposed to happen. I've been expecting this my whole life.

I've been expecting my suitors since yesterday.

"Ready? Okay. Let's go," Mother breathed. Maids opened the door and I was walking down the buzzing hallway. Those around us bowed, then quickly made their way to the main centre of activity. I had to remember how to walk for a second, both normally then gracefully.

Pretend you're walking on air, pretend you're walking on air.

The first thing that hit me was the silence, then the music and the chatter. People were chatting, mostly not-so-quiet whispering and jokes were being passed around. That put me at ease a little. "This is all about you, Ferris." Father reminded me. "This will be the only time you interact with your suitors until the actual day of your birthday,"