Part Thirty Nine

Ferris

Father apparently had an outburst. First one he's had in months. The entire palace shook with rage, the guards I gave an extra break to got back on duty early just because my father walked by with an angry face. I met up with my cousins and Uncle Claude who excused himself to go calm his brother down. I had no clue as to why he didn't want Madame Sharlette here for my birthday.

Arthur and Gideon remained quiet along with Selene, who all gave me a shocked looks. "What?" I asked, a little off put. "Does your dad always tell this loud?" Arthur asked incredulously. "He used to- and only when he was super pissed." I answered truthfully. It only started getting like this when I was ten. There was an 'incident' that no one seems to remember, even him. We both shrugged. I was getting anxious. I really wanted to know why he was so mad just for her being here. The more and more I waited the more desperate I got and I went to go see for myself.

They were still in the conference room, evident from the booming voice coming from just behind the closed doors. I pushed them open, watching as my mother and father fought while Madame Scarlette remained quiet with a passive expression. "I will not have a witch staying at my home!" He shouted and my mother's face reddened, if that was even possible at this point. "Get over yourself, Merlin. You're king for crying out loud! You shouldn't be so close-minded over one incident!" She bit back. They were so invested in their fight they didn't even notice me. "Damn right I am king! And as king I order this woman out of my home!"

I cleared my throat and they all whipped their heads in my direction. "Ferris," mother awkwardly smiled and ushered Madame Sharlette out of her seat. "Take Madame Sharlette into one of the guest rooms, okay? Make sure she had everything she needs." Father's eyes darkened. "Wait, I came here to see what the problem-" Mother hushed me, grabbing my arm and giving it to the frail lady. "Don't worry, we'll sort it out. On the south-wing. Close to your bedroom." She insisted before practically shoving me out the door. We stood there for a couple of seconds in silence before I started moving in direction to the south-wing.

"Your father is an idiot. His mind is clouded the events of the past." She hummed, clutching onto my arm. I waved at the passing guards who all seemed anxious thanks to my father. "Do you know what these events are?" I asked. She didn't say anything for awhile. "In due time will they be revealed. But for now I must keep my mouth shut." She snipped, carefully ascending the stairs we just came to. I wanted to groan aloud but refrained. Why couldn't she just tell me? "Why not just tell me right now?" I asked. She frowned. "That isn't how it works."

I rolled my eyes but sighed when we came across a vacant room. It was close to my room, but just a few rooms away. I opened the doors and stepped inside. "Thank you. Now leave," she mumbled, shuffling over to the bed and sitting down. I was taken aback a bit but bit down on my tongue. "If you need anything just ask a guard to come fetch me, okay?" I told her and she nodded before waving me off. I quickly left, heading straight back to Mother.

The palace was silent, too silent. I made it back to the conference room but they weren't there. I decided not to go run after them and ask them later.

---

"Do we have to keep doing this?" I whined, staring up at my uncle who seemed smug. "Yep!" He answered. I groaned again, before leaning toward and crossing my arms over my chest. "It's an excersise for elderly supernatruals with wings," he explained, fluttering his wings. "Oh great. So now I'm old?" I asked with sarcasm practically dripping from each word. He chuckled before clearing his throat. "Focus on the... event. Try to get past it." He encouraged. I did as I was told and thought about the bomb, then the hospital and I felt a shift in my back, almost like a tingling. I tried to zero-in  on the feeling only to be interrupted by the doors swinging open, again. Claude quickly hid his wings and fell to the floor, just in case it was a maid.

Luckily it was Gideon. "Dad? Ferris?" He called. Uncle Claude sighed in relief and confirmed we were in here. "Aunty Celeste asked Ferris to check on someone," He informed. I gave him a quizzical. "I forget the name... Scarlet? I think." I realized he was talking about Madame Sharlette and nodded. "Well, it's getting late so tomorrow, okay?" He told me. "Sure thing."

I waved them goodbye before heading off to her room. The woman did frighten me so I was hoping this was a quick visit. The sun was going down and snow began falling. I quickly made my way down the halls and up to the south-wing. Maids were getting the rooms ready for the guests that were to attend my party. I was looking forward to the party, apart from the fact that I'd have to give a little speech. Other than that I was fine. Oh, and Zaelyn and Fraener were coming.

I made it to her room and knocked. "Come in," her muffled voice came through. I opened the doors to check on her and noticed how dark it was in here. The sun may have only begun to set but it was still up. She was unmoving, sitting on a chair by the window. "I've just come to check on you. I hope you don't mind." I hummed but got no response. I walked over to her, stopping just behind her. "Do you need anything?" I asked. Still no response. I gently placed my hand on her shoulder and her head whipped to the side. Her eyes looked glazed over and her fingers trembled as she went to cup my cheek.

"I was there!" She croaked making me stumble back. I felt my heart try to leap out of my chest and my blood run cold. "When they took you, poor, poor Fabian. Your mother and I protested! You were only a child!" She screeched. I stepped back. What on earth was she talking about?! "They said you posed a threat to your brother. To the future of the kingdom. They made me do it! They made us perform the forgetting spell!" I was starting to freak out now. Was she confusing me for someone? Mother did say she forgets things when it gets dark but this was not what I was expecting.

I didn't know what to say so I backed out the room. She was in hysterics. The maids all started to swarm, flooding the room to see if she was okay.

By the time she had calmed down everyone in the palace was at the room's entrance.