Forced Apologies

The car ride back to my house was silent and I wasn't in the front seat next to Issac anymore. Cory was already sitting there when I arrived at Issac's car. I didn't mind sitting next to Sutton, I liked him, but the silence was awkward and I knew it was because of me. I should have just told Issac about Harrison when I had the chance. I should have told him when we had coffee and my true name came out.

God, I was such an idiot.

It must seem like to Issac all I did was lie.

I swallowed hard and twiddled my thumbs, trying to think of a way to apologize without coming off as a bell end. Or at least break this suffocating silence. The drive to my house wasn't that log and yet it already felt like hours.

"So... how did you like your first day at school?" I asked, words like the knives of a serial killer, butchering the atmosphere of the car. No one answered for a moment.

"It was good, although some of the teachers need to have an energy drink or an espresso." Sutton said and I almost sighed in relief when he shot me a sympathetic smile. I knew both Cory and Issac were mad at me. Cory only for Issac's sake I'm sure.

"My English teacher took a nap, while we read on alone in War and Peace. Or at least, while we were meant to be reading." Cory added and I felt another slight weight rise off my shoulders.

Maybe he wasn't so mad at me after all.

Issac didn't say anything.

"I'm not sure how she got the job. If my father finds out the educators are slacking here he'll pull me right out and back into home schooling." Sutton replied and I saw Cory nod in agreement.

"You know the Academy has some of the best teachers in the area, Clear Water High School has the snoozers." I replied and then I realized I sounded exactly like the snob the local public school kids accused those at Greyworth of being.

"Well perhaps, Ms. Draftfield should rethink her place of employment." Cory mumbled and I frowned.

Ms. Draftfield? Who... Drafty? Barbara Drafty? Suddenly I couldn't help but laugh. Ms. Draftfield? Barbara Drafty? That's whom they were talking about? She was not a teacher; no she was a school secretary who sometimes filled the roll of a sub when the school was short staffed. No they would not have to worry about her teaching them in the long run. I told them as much and Sutton let out a sigh of relief. He was taking AP English, which would mean they normally had Dr. Ludwig. He was an awesome teacher, or at least that is what Sarah had told me. He was the President of PREP at Greyworth and one of the teachers that Sarah often spent time with while earning extra credit for fun.

We pulled up in the driveway of my house and I sighed. There was no one home. My mom was still away on business and Gabe was probably working at the hospital. I was going to be alone again for dinner tonight. Maybe going to the game wasn't the worst idea after all.

"Thanks for the ride." I said and then reached for the door handle when all I got was a mumbled from Cory and a nod from Sutton.

I watched Issac for a moment, but he kept his eyes fixed on something out the windshield of the car. I paused again as a thought occurred.

"Do you guys want to go to the game tonight? It's the last of the season. It's against Clear Water, the high school I was talking about? They're our archrival and so everyone it going to be psyched out, you know? The guys you met at lunch? They're all playing so me and the girls are all gonna be there, if you guys are interested in attending, or tagging along or just watching... I uh guess."