Chapter 5

And then I woke up.

I lay in bed, blinking and watching my curtains flutter in the slight breeze, the morning sun streaming in. I rolled onto my back and stared up at the ceiling, not really seeing it. My dream replayed in my mind, clear as if it had actually happened. It almost lacked that dreamlike feeling of the surreal. I sighed and sat up. I went through my morning ritual in kind of a daze, still wondering why I had such a disturbing, weird dream about the two guys in school who sparked more than just my curiosity. Of course, I thought wryly as I looked through my closet, the very fact that it ended with Warren kissing me proved that it was just a dream.

Dad and Dane were in the kitchen when I went down, setting out breakfast.

"You're up early," Dane observed, setting out my breakfast.

"You sound shocked," I smiled as I placed my bag on the counter and sat down.

"After last night, I expected you to call in sick," Keith confessed, digging into his eggs.

My heart skipped a beat and I forced my tone to stay light. "Last night?"

"Yep!" Keith nodded. "You came in babbling about Ace and Victor and a dolphin named Snowflake. Figured my daughter had finally gone loony."

"Oh, she wasn't babbling, Dad," Dane corrected. "I heard the story clearly. See, she and this Ace were driving to the movie house when they met a kid named Victor, who tried to sell them the dolphin."

"I have no clue what you guys are on about," I laughed.

"When do we meet this Ace, anyway?" Keith asked.

"It's Victor," I corrected.

"Careful, Belle." Dane looked grave. "Looks like you're in for that worthless stuff they call fatherly advice."

"Worthless stuff!" Keith huffed indignantly.

"See, he agrees with me."

"Yeah, but it's not as bad as that stuff they call brotherly advice," I smiled sweetly.

Dane shot me a look. "You're lucky you're riding in Ranger Burton's car today."

"I am?" I turned to Keith. "Why?"

"Because I miss my daughter, because I had a dream to drive you around the world, and because Dane said not to tell you he's paying me for it." 

Dane rolled his eyes as Keith stood up. "Dad!"

Keith shrugged into a jacket, the very picture of innocence. "What, son?"

Dane began to clear up.

"Come on, then!"

I picked up my bag and followed Keith out.

"Belle!"

I turned in the doorway and caught the apple he threw to me. "Thanks."

I hurried out, biting into the apple. Keith was already in the car, so I joined him. The car roared as it came to life, a sound that all department issue cars made.

"We need to get you a car," he said.

"What happened to driving me around the world?"

He grunted. "Dane isn't that loaded. Besides, if there is an emergency, you'll need the added advantage."

"Hold that thought," I said, looking out the window. I hated it when people wanted to buy me anything. I honestly had no idea how to respond to gifts of any kind.

"I'm serious, Belle." Keith's voice cut into my thoughts as he stopped the car in the school parking lot.

"Just as long as it's not new."