Chapter 39

I scowled at the immaculate bathroom, standing mutinously in the doorway.

Warren had booked us into an annoyingly expensive hotel claiming he didn't want me to lack anything while he was gone.

He sounded like he was going off to war, I thought mulishly.

And so I found myself in an exclusive suite. It had two large rooms - one for me and one for Ash - with en-suite bathrooms. The rooms were connected by a huge lounge with a large flat screen and some of the most comfortable couches I'd ever seen. Warren had ignored all my protests and Ashley's chattering, insisting on seeing me situated before they left.

And now I was alone, wishing my boyfriend wasn't so over the top. Still, I was exhausted so I stepped into the bathroom and was soon in the glass shower stall enjoying a nice warm shower. Afterwards I debated a bit then ran a bubble bath. As I sank into the foamy sweetness, I threw my head back and sighed contentedly. Maybe having a crazy rich boyfriend wasn't so bad...

Except for missing him.

I scowled at the thought. I didn't know how long they'd be gone but I wasn't one of those clingy girls that needed her man near her at all times. Armed with this determination, I enjoyed my bath immensely.

I ordered room service and, wrapped up in the fluffy gown that swallowed me whole, I sank into the long couch and watched TV. When I finished my meal I yawned lazily. I hadn't gotten much sleep last night and the excitement of the day was finally fading, leaving me drained. Plus if I fell asleep, maybe I wouldn't miss Warren so bad.

I went to my room, shrugging out of the robe to pull on a long Tee and some shorts. I snuggled into the ridiculously comfortable bed and let myself drift lazily.

I didn't feel it at first.

When I did register what it was, I frowned. It was a tugging in the back of my mind like a thought I couldn't quite call back. Shrugging mentally, I ignored it and tried to fall asleep. It came again, this time insistent, and I frowned, groaning in frustration. What the hell was it?

Come.

Huh? I frowned, wondering if I was already dreaming. Was that a voice? My shoulder began to burn faintly and I jiggled it, shifting in bed to get comfortable.

Come to me.

Yes... To him...

I threw off my covers and slipped my feet to the carpet...

Then froze, gasping.

My fangs marks were throbbing violently now and I ran my fingers over them, panicking. That voice, those words in the back of my head... Was Vincent in my mind? The call was a thread in my head now, a chant I couldn't block out.

Come... Come... Come to me...

And I longed to go, to search for him, to run through the streets calling his name until I was with him...

Was this what Victor meant, that if Vincent came for me I wouldn't resist him? I curled my fists into the covers, desperately trying to fight this pull. It was overwhelming, driving me crazy.

I stood up almost without thinking, feeling as if I was being inexorably drawn to my death. My feet dragged on the carpet as I headed to the door. The chant was still ringing in my head and I felt my will weaken. I had to go... To him... I had to...

I stumbled and glanced down in annoyance, then felt myself freeze again. I'd dropped Warren's scarf at some point in my sleepy wandering before bed and now I was staring at it on the floor. Just the thought of Warren lessened the pull of the call in my head. Unthinking, I picked the scarf up. His scent wafted all around me, making me smile.