Chapter 17

I half expected Warren to pick me up on Monday, of course, so I wasn't surprised so much as touched when I saw his car in the driveway. As I walked over to him, he went round and opened my door. "You rested well, I trust?"

I kissed his cheek and got in. "Yes, thanks."

He came round and drove off. "Have you made the selection?"

"Yep. Just need to get the scrapbook now."

"I see it's Beauty and the Beast."

"I thought you couldn't read my mind," I teased, then realised what he'd said. "You called her Beauty."

He took my hand and kissed it. "And it is befitting. 'The most beautiful maid in all the land'."

I rolled my eyes. "You're starting to come off as a soppy romantic, you know."

His eyes laughed into mine. "Well, this is new territory for me. Mayhap I was always meant to be 'soppy', as you put it, once romance became a part of my life." He kissed my hand again, making me blush. "You bring me joy, Annabelle. I am merely acting on that. However you label my actions towards you, know that only you evoke them in me."

I didn't know what to say to that, how to respond. I had a huge grin on my face so I just closed my eyes and let my joy radiate. Warren was... There were no words really. When the car stopped, I looked out at the crowded parking lot. I was rarely this early to school. Warren went round and opened my door, then helped me out. "A girl could get used to this," I smiled as he took our bags.

He handed me my bag and took my hand. "So, colour scheme?"

"Huh?"

"Your project."

"I need one?"

The whole school was watching, of course. I tried to get my mind into the conversation with Warren as we got into the hall, but all I could see were the curious stares, and a few hate filled gazes. It hadn't occurred to me that I'd make enemies just by being with him. I ignored them, but the one gaze we didn't draw wasn't so easy to ignore. Victor slammed his locker shut, slipped his headphones on and walked away.

I stood rooted to the spot, last night flooding into my mind. Up until now, I had managed to keep the memories at bay. I didn't want to think about them until Victor could explain himself. I at least owed him that much. Even if I might have to threaten him into it.

"Belle?" Warren's voice was soft.

I turned to him and blinked. "Huh?"

"I warned you," he said, his humor gone as he set his bag in his locker and grabbed some books. "We are not exactly close."

I shook my thoughts away and smiled at him. "Don't worry, I'll be fine." He closed his locker and we walked towards mine. "Um, I was thinking blue? Like that icy blue from all that Frozen stuff."

We stopped at my locker and he raised a brow. "Have you considered the child's preference?"

"You're right, well let her choose the color. Besides, she might want a different theme from me."

He nodded, letting it go. "Shall we?"

At lunchtime, Warren came to pick me up from my class. As my hand slipped into his, I couldn't help asking, "What's up?"

"Shall we do lunch my way today?" he asked playfully.

"What's your way?"

"I already took the liberty of ordering it," he said, dropping his eyes a little at my look. "Do you dislike that?"