Chapter 22

After I registered, Warren took me to his car. There was a small crowd surrounding it, and I soon understood why. Today he was driving a cherry red convertible so pretty even I stared. When he jingled his keys, the guys around it backed away to admire it from a distance. Warren slipped on shades as he opened my door for me. When he got in, he handed me a pair of shades too.

Just as he started the car, his phone rang. He drew it out, glancing at caller ID, then switched it off. I frowned, watching his eyes go vacant. After a minute, he sighed and started driving.

"Who was that?"

"Ashley." He replied. "She desires to meet with you."

"And you don't want her to?"

"She's joining us." He saw my raised brow and understood. "The phone call was merely to attract my attention. We can communicate telepathically, but we do not always keep the lines open, so to speak. That phone call was akin to a knock on my door."

"Oh." I sat back and thought about it. "You guys have way too many cool things going." I turned to him playfully. "How do I become one of you?"

His mouth tightened and he avoided my eyes. "We were born into this."

"Dang it."

He was silent for a bit, then he asked softly, "You would willingly become a monster?"

I glanced at him, frowning. "Monsters? You're the most cultured people I've ever met."

"We do not advertise," he said drily.

I took his hand, linked our fingers. "Don't ever call my boyfriend a monster, okay? Otherwise you'll be in some serious trouble."

His lips turned up in a cute smile, and he squeezed my hand. "My apologies, ma'am."

As he pulled up next to a line of food shops, I saw Ashley standing by the curb. She looked amazing, as always. Did that come with being a shape shifter, or being rich, or both? Warren helped me out of the car as she skipped to us. She pushed him away and gave me a warm hug. "Hi. Good to see you again, Belle."

"You too," I smiled, again struck by how deep her blue eyes were.

"You may leave now," Warren teased, trying to hide a smile.

She glared at him. "Don't mind him. He can't hide you forever."

"Orders, please," he said.

"Let me guess, Chinese?" Ashley smirked. When he only nodded, we placed our orders.

Warren went into the nearest shop as Ashley looped her hand in mine and drew me back to his car. She flipped my seat to get in the back, then motioned for me to sit upfront.

"How did you know he wants Chinese?" I asked as soon as I sat down.

"He's easy to read, once you know him. Plus, I've known him for thirty two years, so..." She shrugged, then smiled at my expression. "Yeah, I'm a little old myself."

"Do you like it?" I asked, remembering what Warren had said on the drive. "Being what you are?"

"Are you kidding? I love it!" She beamed, then winked at me. "And don't think for a second that you can distract me from talking about you guys. I'm beyond excited to get to know my brother's first love."

I was blushing by now, but the last part made me look up. "First? But...he's so old."

She shrugged, her eyes going sad. "You don't understand what you've done to my brother, Belle. Warren's been a loner all his life. He's only lived for the pack and this town. He didn't even really have friends, besides Roger." She leaned forward, whispering, "When you showed up... I don't know, it's like he relaxed. He's more open, and so very tender with you. He's always been like that with me and Mom, of course, but there was always a line we couldn't cross. Then you happen and it's like it disintegrates around you."