Chapter 38

Warren had us walking through a dark passage that was a stairway heading relentlessly downwards. It was roughly hewn out of rock and was probably centuries old.

I was a step ahead of him though he had one arm around me, tucking me against his side, so really he was guiding me. Which was perfect because I couldn't see anything. We walked in silence, my steps echoing loudly in the enclosed space and reminding me that I was wearing heels.

After about five minutes of walking, Warren's arm suddenly tightened around me and I stopped. Leaning over me - and stopping my heart - he reached over and pulled a door open. I stepped back instinctively, dodging the bright light that suddenly spilled through the doorway into the passage. Warren drew back from me so I leaned against the wall, still adjusting to the change in lighting.

Warren slipped his arm around my waist again. I bit my lip and arched back against him as he splayed his hand over my stomach. "My darling Miss Burton, you look positively delectable in this outfit."

I flushed as he pulled me harder against him, leaning down to touch his lips to my neck. I closed my eyes and drew in a steadying breath, trying to absorb every sensation. "Let me guess, Monsieur. This has always been a fantasy of yours? Having a hot PA?"

He pulled the hair tie out of my hair and it spilled over my shoulders. He slowly pushed my hair out of the way, still leaning down to my neck, and my senses sang on high alert. He trailed his lips along my neck and breathed, "My every fantasy is fulfilled in you."

I blushed and giggled. "Shouldn't we get on with it?"

He sighed against me, making me giggle again, then drew back and took my hand, gesturing me forward. I stepped in then froze. Through our linked hands I felt a shock go through him as if he'd just been jolted by electricity. He dropped my hand and stepped back on reflex, snarling his displeasure.

I turned to find him still in the passage. "What's wrong?"

"This room is inaccessible to me," he muttered, rolling his eyes as he massaged his wrist in annoyance. "A little gift from our vampire friends."

"What?"

"I suppose now I must play sentry." He leaned in the doorway, hands in his pockets as he crossed his ankles. He looked bored but something told me it was just a front. I intuited that he didn't want me in a room where he couldn't protect me while in enemy territory.

I stepped back to him, smiling mischievously up into his deadly eyes. "It looks like you have to depend on me now," I teased.

"Heaven help me," he muttered, fighting a grin.

I gripped the front of his shirt and pulled him down to me. He raised a brow but came willingly. I pressed my lips to his in a short but heated kiss. "Just a minute," I murmured against his lips and pulled back.

He looked dazed, his eyes following me into the room as he reverently touched his lips.

I couldn't blame him. That was the first time I ever initiated a kiss with him. I turned away, blushing deeply, and looked around the room. Time to get to work. The room was large and spacious, with a high celling and white walls. The décor was elegant; all white with touches of gold. The floor was white marble with a golden zigzag pattern running across it.

I walked in quickly, taking in the glass cases in many different sizes, each holding untold treasures. Knowing we had little time, I rushed past the larger displays and focused on the smaller ones since all we needed was the amulet. The room smelled wonderful, something soft and airy that reminded me of Victor.

As I passed, I couldn't help but marvel at some of the bejeweled sculptures - a ruby-eyed silver hawk; a golden lioness with majestic jade eyes and ivory fangs; a golden cobra with a cobalt blue and gold hood and onyx eyes. I realised that these were all predators reputed for their strength and cunning.