Chapter 19

"Hold up, okay?" I shuffled out of bed. "I'm coming with you."

He stared. "Absolutely not!"

I rolled my eyes and gritted, "We just talked about this."

"Not while you've been bleeding. You will not tempt him like that. You promised to keep yourself safe."

"I'll be with you." When he looked away, I pleaded, "I have to clear today up. Please."

He sighed, and we heard the doorbell. He turned to me, still unhappy. "Very well." He grabbed my robe - which I never used - and held it out. I sighed and humored him, getting into it before we walked out to the stairs.

"Good evening. Is Belle home?" Victors voice carried up to us.

We stepped into view just as Keith was saying, "I don't know that now's a good time -"

"It's okay, Dad," I interrupted. "Let me talk to him."

Keith looked up, then shrugged. By the time I made it to the front door, Victor was standing on the bottom step of the porch, his eyes on the ground. "Hi," I said.

"I came to see if you were okay." His voice was low, and he was clearly struggling with something. "And to say I'm sorry."

"What happened?" I asked, going down to him.

He was still avoiding my eyes. "I have to go, but you should know that I had no choice."

"Wait." He turned back to me and finally met my eyes. I didn't know how to ask if he still wanted to be my friend.

"I can't see you while Vince's here," he said, indirectly answering my silent question.

"Who's Vince?" I asked at the same time Warren asked, "Vincent has returned?"

We both looked up. I hadn't realised that Warren had followed me and was standing in the doorway. Victor didn't seem surprised, though. He simply addressed Warren as he said, "Yeah, he's here. He came earlier than expected, but what else is new?" He turned back to me, his eyes earnest. "That's why I needed you to leave the forest. I was trying to keep my brother from knowing about you. I swear I didn't think you'd get hurt."

"It's okay, I know that part," I assured, wanting to assuage him of the guilt.

"I can't risk seeing you when he's around. When I found out I hurt you and you bled I tried to remove traces of it from the forest, but I'm sure he caught your scent anyway. I can't afford to lead him here because he'll just hurt you to get at me."

"How long is his stay?" Warren asked quietly.

"Three days at most. He went partying in Phoenix but he'll be back any minute." He took my hand and threaded his cool fingers through mine. "I'll miss you."

"Me too. Still friends?"

"I must be crazy, but yeah." He squeezed my fingers and was gone.

I turned and went back in. Warren was silent as he followed me while I made a beeline for the bed. He cleared the bed and then came and drew me into his arms, all without saying a word. I leaned into him. "I know, I'll stay away from him until it's safe. Don't worry."

He breathed out. "Thank you." He kissed my forehead and mused, "I must wonder at that boy's tolerance. To stand in such close proximity to you, ignoring the pull of your blood!"

There was a knock on my door, then Dane walked in with a tray, raising a brow at the sight of me in Warren's arms. "Time to eat, kid."

I nodded against Warren's chest and he stilled.