Chapter 27

I took my food tray on Monday - I had insisted on getting my own food today - and turned to my table. For some reason, my table was totally empty and I wondered where my friends were. It was a small consolation that most of the students were missing from the lunchroom.

The basketball team, however, was complete at Warren's table. He watched me openly as I walked towards my table. I was so caught up in his smoldering emerald gaze that I barely registered the person standing in my way. I stopped just before I ran into him, looking up at him in confusion. He stood watching me, one hand in his back pocket as he waited for me to notice him. I vaguely remembered seeing him at Warren's party, so probably a senior on the basketball team.

When I made to sidestep him he caught my tray, stopping me. "Hi."

I tucked my hair back nervously. "Uh, hi."

He started walking backwards, tugging on my tray. Since he was going my direction anyway, I followed. "You get home okay Saturday?"

"Huh? Yeah, of course." I was glued to Warren the entire night. How could I not have gotten home safe?

"Great. So the guys and I had a bet," he went on, still tugging.

When we passed my table, I looked up to find him smiling. "Uh, we just passed my table."

He threw a glance at it. "You won't be missed. So, the bet."

"What does it have to do with me?"

"Oh, it has everything to do with you. You stole our Captain and we want him back."

I blushed and glanced behind him at Warren, realising that he was taking me to their table. All the guys were watching us expectantly and I dropped my eyes, suddenly shy again. The guy in front of me took advantage and yanked my tray out of my hands. "Hey!"

He chucked it into a bin without looking away from me. "Sorry. Rules are rules. At our table we pick a place and all order from there. Today we ordered Chinese. You included."

"I don't sit at your table," I huffed, stopping.

"You still haven't heard our bet," another senior said from the end of the table. I stood at their table now and the blond guy who'd led me here went round Warren to his seat.

I took a deep breath, getting myself under control. Warren was still just watching me, a smile playing at his lips. "Okay, what's the bet?"

"Play with us." Chris leaned closer to me with a flirty smile. "I promise we won't bite."

"Speak for yourself," Randy muttered and the guys laughed.

"Okay, but you owe me lunch," I said testily.

Chris hefted a food bag as evidence and I threw an accusing glance at Warren. I knew he'd given in too easily this morning! "We got you covered."

I turned back to Chris. "Okay, what game are we playing?"

"Sit down first," Another senior said, throwing his head back so he could chug his juice.

"Um, your table is full. There is literally no space left."

"Sure there is. There's an empty chair over there. " Randy pointed to Warren's chair. He was sitting on the chairback as usual.

I tucked my hair back, dropped my eyes. This wasn't going well. "That's your captain's chair."

"Oh, I'm sure you guys share all kinds of things," the guy who brought me here grinned. He turned to Warren. "Unless you don't want to share?"

Warren grinned wickedly now, his eyes on me. He pulled on the chain I got for him again. "I am a collared man. She owns me." As the guys laughed, making me blush furiously, Warren murmured, "Come, love. Claim what is yours."