Chapter 12

He didn't show up on Tuesday.

I knew it the moment Roger got out of the driver's side in the morning. I'd been waiting for Warren in the parking lot, and my heart sank when I knew he wasn't coming. Roger glanced at me and continued walking.

On Wednesday, I saw his seat empty in the lunchroom. By this time I'd also realised that Victor wasn't in school either this week. When I called him though, he assured me he was fine - just out of town. No one seemed bothered by the absences which made me wonder how often these guys blew off school.

When he was absent on Thursday as well, I decided to find him and find out why. It was a very hot day, which made me irritable, so it was easy to be angry with Warren as I drove towards home. Why the hell wasn't he in school? It was one thing to not want to be my friend, but why miss school? I wasn't a monster, damn it, there was no need to run from me!

I looked out the window and suddenly stopped the car as an idea struck me. A week ago today, Warren took me a short way into the forest to an abandoned house. I was sure that the break in the trees led to it, and for some reason, I knew I could find him there. So I turned into the dirt road and drove carefully, enjoying the cool breeze from the trees as I tried to find some landmark I recognised. I was starting to despair when I saw the house looming up ahead. While it had looked menacing in the night, it only seemed sad and miserable in daylight.

I stepped out of the car and strode in, eager now to find that mysterious mirror if not Warren. It was cool inside, and I stopped to look around me properly now, in daylight. I noted the old furniture stacked in the corners, but then I realised that there was no layer of dust over it. How was that possible when this house had no windows or doors to speak of? I went closer to a desk near the stairs curiously.

I looked up and froze. Warren stood on the landing, watching me. He was motionless and his face was impossible to read. There was something surreal about him - he looked too perfect, like a live sculpture, a breathing fantasy.

"What do you seek?" His voice shattered the silence, compelling me to stop daydreaming about being in his arms and find my voice.

When I found it, it was low and weak. "I wanna know why you're skipping school."

I read surprise in his beautiful eyes, then his jaw worked.  He seemed...angry? He swiftly came down the stairs - they still didn't creak - and grabbed my arm, dragging me out. "You must vacate this area immediately."

"Vacate nothing," I countered, shaking off his arm in the doorway. "You haven't given me a reason."

"Am I obliged to?"

I started to retort but stopped short. The sun was streaming into his face, setting his glorious hair ablaze, but it was his eyes that took my breath away.

His eyes were a brilliant green, shining as if reflecting the sun. His pupils had contracted to narrow slits. "Well?"

"You have cat eyes," I murmured, reaching up to touch him. His skin was warm and I drew my hand away.

"You're not welcome here! Leave!"

Okay, I was mesmerized, but not that mesmerized. There was only so much my dignity could take, after all. "Fine." I turned to leave.

And froze, my indrawn breath sharp.

It all fell into place in my mind, giving a conclusion I couldn't believe I'd been blind to. Warren's impossible actions, my dream, Dane's information... "You're one of them." I barely whispered it.

"One of what?" he demanded. 

"The cat goddess' creatures. You have to be. You have literal cat eyes. People's eyes don't change like that." I was figuring it all out aloud. "You move too fast sometimes, and I can barely keep up. Plus you're hotter than anyone I've ever met. I just wasn't paying attention before."