Chapter 23

I heard a shrill scream and ran to the curtain, my heart pounding. I breathed a sigh of relief when I realised that it was all part of this girl's act. Walking back to my spot behind the stage, I shook off my nerves, making a mental note to expect anything in these auditions.

I went back to my open book, my eyes running over the lines again just so I could be sure I had them memorised. Even if I was sure I was going to tank, I'd decided to give it my all. For Warren. I smiled, remembering the pep talk he'd given me before I came here. He'd told me to unite with the character, to see the world through her eyes so I would understand every emotion hidden behind each line and action. I set about putting his advise to work.

Let's see, Juliet fell in love with an enemy, eloped, got her honeymoon night, got disowned, pretended to die, then killed herself when she realised that he'd believed her lie and taken his life.

That didn't sound so bad...until I imagined myself in her shoes. Forbidden to love Warren, forced to marry secretly, unable to confide in Dane or even aunt Lily, dying to see Warren, desperate enough to fake my death rather than be forced to be with someone else, and then the final blow - to have Warren dead.

An image rose in my mind, vivid beyond belief, of Warren lying on the floor motionless, his eyes glazed and no air passing through his parted lips. I couldn't breathe, had to grip a prop table to fight my panic attack. My eyes flew open as I braced myself against it.

Let people say that Juliet killed herself because she was young, foolish and rash.  Let them speculate that it was because she realised that she was disgraced, a social outcast. Putting myself in her place had made me realise why she did it. It wasn't a final sacrifice but a sweet release. It was an escape, yes, but from a cold, dreary, loveless life. If she'd loved Romeo as much as I loved Warren, she'd have known that a nunnery would have spelled insanity. And there was the allure of following him into whatever afterlife awaited....

Talk about uniting with the character.

I heard applause again and it brought me back. Rubbing my hands on my jeans, I focused on my lines. Mitch called my name and my heart thudded. I set the book aside and took a deep breath, then timidly stepped onto the stage. As I walked across it, I saw an older man sitting next to Mitch and took another deep breath. Victor had explained that Mr Klint, the drama teacher, would attend. Mr Klint sat forward and smiled at me. "Ah, Miss Burton! I must say I have been anticipating this."

Did this guy go to one of Warren's former schools? I wondered, keeping my smile bright.

"So, what have you got for us today?"

Oh. He missed half the lessons. "Um, it's common so you've probably seen it a lot of times." I tucked my hair back. "I've never done this before, so even if I fail, clap anyway."

He chuckled softly as I stepped back. I pushed my hair back and balled my fists, eyes closed.

And I was Juliet.

I had chosen the scene where she decides to kill herself, right after the friar leaves for a minute. I took a deep breath and, widening my eyes to look crazed, I glanced fearfully to the side as if startled by something. "Is that a sound anon? I must make haste." I turned to my hands with a crazed smile, cradling my imaginary dagger lovingly. I held it up like my only hope of salvation. "Oh, happy dagger, thou art mis-sheathed." I reverently unsheathed it. I dropped the sheath and gripped the dagger in both hands. "My breast is thy true sheath. There rust, and let me die." I closed my eyes and gathered my courage, then drove the knife into my chest and dropped to the ground.

Ouch.

I was glad that my hair fell over my face, masking my wince. There was silence in the auditorium. Great. I'd messed up somehow. Mr Klint murmured something to Mitch, then they both started clapping, and everyone else joined in. I took that as my cue and rose, smiled and fled.