Chapter 49

Warren

The bloodsucker's scent faintly registered in my nostrils, causing me to suppress a spasm of rage. It clung to my love's.

I trembled slightly and battled the beast back. My primal nature was eager to take over, to rip apart the creature that had dared to touch my heart.

Mine.

With effort, I ignored the bloodlust burning within my veins and threatening to make me shift against my will, then nodded once. Ashley and Roger immediately took off, silently shifting into their panther forms as they raced towards the meeting point.

Alone, I crouched on the branch and focused my eyes on the designated point. My heart swelled with relief and pride as I mentally praised my angel for outwitting that scum. His current demeanor was relaxed, even excited. Just how had that cunning girl distracted him so completely?

My vision in the night was excellent. I was channeling my panther's power while tamping down hard on its eagerness to leap out and defend my love. Although it couldn't recognise her as a mate, it understood her importance to me and was protective of her - caring even. It was a relief to not have to constantly fight it to be with her.

Vincent appeared in my line of vision cutting off my musing and drawing a low growl from both me and my beast. He instantly slowed to a stop while muttering to himself. I took the opportunity to feast my eyes on my love - the recent few days had been unadulterated agony - and ascertained that she was unharmed even as I frowned at how she clung to his back. The beast snarled territorially.

Ashley appeared beside him first, stalking to a smooth stop on his left. She was purring in her mind, gleefully anticipating the war ahead. My chest tightened in automatic worry. I hardly ever allowed her onto the battlefield. She was a formidable warrior yet she was still a cub and would always be my baby sister. However, Roger's pleas five years back had earned her an occasional foray into battle. He intended to equip her for war and I warily allowed it.

Ashley focused on the moment, rapidly sorting through the possibilities in this fight, searching for one of the threads that gave me what I craved - his complete demise.

Roger appeared to the vampire's right, snarling in anticipation. I tended to avoid his mind in such situations - his appetite for war could at times baffle even I who had been dubbed one of the best warriors of this century. As it was, I replayed the strategy. Protecting Ashley was his main priority and I did not hesitate in making Belle his second priority. However, as I wanted Ashley to be involved in the actual battle as little as possible, he had ordered her to coordinate us which would keep her focused on orchestrating the right outcome.

Annabelle saw them then gazed all around her and my heart tightened.

My love was searching for me.

Even in this tense moment, the knowledge weakened me. This tiny, fragile little creature, this innocent girl that had become my true passion, still wanted to be mine even with all she had suffered due to my pride and arrogance, even though her current distasteful position was entirely my doing. This little female, so exquisite she constantly stole my breath, chose to love me completely and unconditionally. What misalignment of the universe made this possible?

"Belle, get down," Roger ordered.

I bit down an annoyed groan. He was my beta, my second in command, therefore of course he could command all under me, but with my lovely angel it simply felt...improper.

I head him sigh in my head as Ashley let out a breathless giggle. Embarrassed, I commanded them to focus. Still glancing anxiously around her, my love unlocked her chokehold on the vermin and dropped to her feet. I held my beast back with a growl when she stumbled slightly. Not yet.