Chapter 43

Anya, Derek, Amber and Chuck ambushed me outside the court. They excitedly showed me their prom photos, recounting some funny moments from prom.

"So, can we see yours?" Anya finally asked.

"You and Warren must look so cute together," Amber said.

Derek rolled his eyes.

"Well, I actually don't have it yet."

"What?" the girls chorused.

"It's not a big deal," I shrugged. "I didn't even know they were out."

"Game's starting," Derek announced, changing the subject.

"Later," Anya said firmly as we went in.

I took a deep breath as we stepped into the arena. This game was the biggest of the season and it was being held in LG's official basketball arena. Los Gatos clearly loved it's basketball.

The place was huge.

Glancing up at the packed stands, I got the feeling of drowning in a sea of people. In the dim lighting, I hoped no one saw me pause in the doorway to get my bearings. Then I spotted Ashley in the front and thankfully went to her. She grinned as I sank down next to her. Her eyes sparkled, from last night no doubt.

"Hi," I smiled. "I never got to say congratulations."

She beamed like a beacon. "Thanks." Then she added playfully, "Next year I'll be learning with you guys."

"I'm sure Roger's looking forward to that," I teased, knowing no one would hear me.

She blushed and shoved a grocery bag over at me. "Here. Derek usually gets you guys that, right?"

"Thanks," I smiled, glancing behind me. I managed to make my friends out near the center, laughing.

The visiting team made their entrance onto the court, then the Black Cats came on with their cheerleaders. The girls started into their routine like last time, with Warren strolling onto the court and shrugging out of his jacket. He held it out to Ashley as usual.

"Go take it," Ashley whispered to me.

"What?" I hissed, alarmed. The last thing I wanted was to be in the eyes of this audience. A pair of those eyes would belong to Keith. "That's your job!"

"Not anymore." She grinned wickedly. "If you don't go, he'll just come and drag you onto the court."

She wasn't kidding - he was already walking towards us. I took a deep breath, praying for strength, then shoved my hands into my pockets and stood up. The murmuring hushed as I walked towards him and I felt all eyes on me like a laser boring through my back. Then the place erupted in hooting, cheering and enthusiastic applause from the LGH students. I squared my shoulders, blushing furiously, and wondered what would happen if I simply turned back and crawled under my seat.

And then I was reaching for the jacket but Warren bypassed my hand. He wrapped the jacket around my shoulders as he pulled me closer, placing his forehead on mine. He kept our eyes locked, scrambling my thoughts, then breathed a laugh. I smiled back effortlessly.

And then he stepped back and I was left holding onto the jacket. I spun on my heel, my cheeks burning hotter, and walked briskly back to my seat. I plopped myself down, the jacket in my lap. I closed my eyes and breathed in an effort to calm down. Ashley was tittering beside me, shaking the bench. "Let me guess," she giggled. "You're not talking to me but if you were you'd tell me how much you hate me right now."

"I am talking to you, actually." I turned to glare at her. "Why'd you two set me up like that?"

"It's what he wanted," she shrugged. "He couldn't talk you into it, I saw that."