Chapter 13

Suddenly, I was enveloped in his cologne. He stood so close my nose was pressed to his chest. His hands ran lightly down my arms, unnaturally warm, and I melted into him.

"My kind has always been feared. For decades men of valor have balked at my presence without understanding why. Many who understood lost their sanity, while others attempted war or lost their will to live. I have learnt to guard my secret jealously in order to live at peace with humans." His voice, until now low and soft, suddenly grew thick with emotion. "And yet you unravel me! There is simply something about you, a force that draws me to you against all reason. I have never encountered so strong a pull, such an overwhelming an urge to be close to you, to reveal myself to you." He gripped my arms now. "Finding that it is mutual only intensifies my struggle."

I tightened my grip on his shirt. "Then don't fight it." It came out in a rush; I felt as if he was slipping out of my grasp like water and I was desperate to hold on to him.

"I'm forced to let you go, love," he whispered. "I am a hazard to your health."

"No!"

He gently pulled my hands away as if I was toddler. I kept my eyes on my sneakers so he wouldn't see my tears. He was still holding my wrists and I knew he wanted to say something to soften the blow. I already knew I was rejected and didn't want him to say anything because any comfort would only make things worse and I needed my strength to fight my tears back.

My voice shook as I said a little forcefully, "Don't say it's better this way because it's not!" I waited for him to leave me, drawing deep breaths to dissolve the lump in my throat.

"Oh, darling Belle!" he whispered, and I was in his arms. They tightened around me and I could finally breathe. "What sorcery is this? What have you done to me?"

I sniffed, still fighting my tears back. "Please don't leave me." I knew I was begging but I didn't care. I just knew I needed him.

He sighed and buried his face in my hair. When he spoke, his voice was muffled. "It appears I would be unable to, even if staying were perilous to me." His arms tightened around me. "How it is possible is yet a mystery to me, but I am at your mercy." He pulled back and cupped my face. "Be mine, Annabelle."

I closed my eyes as I felt relief sweep through me. He wanted me. This god like creature wanted to be with me. I knew if I spoke I would babble, so I just nodded. Vigorously.

He chuckled. His eyes held mine tenderly and for a moment he just grinned. "Come with me."

I nodded again and he drew me into his arms, sweeping me off my feet. I held onto him as he started running. In a minute, he was running so fast I had to close my eyes to shut out the stinging wind. I buried my face into his chest so I could breathe. Just how fast was this guy going? And less importantly, where was he taking me?

He suddenly stopped, so smoothly I felt no jolt. There was no slowing down - he just stopped as suddenly as he'd started running. He sank down to the ground fluidly, still holding me close, and I looked up into his eyes. Tenderly, he ran a hand down my cheek. When he released me, I scooted onto the ground next to him, only to have him lay my head in his lap and caress my hair.

"I could watch you for all eternity," he murmured.

I smiled and closed my eyes, relaxed with him. "I'm not stopping you."

He chuckled again, the sound low and gruff. He was still caressing my hair. "Why do you give your tresses free reign so?"

"Tresses?"

"Your hair."

"Oh." I smiled again. I needed a dictionary to talk to this guy. "I don't know. I just do."

He seemed to be enjoying what he was doing, so I closed my eyes again. "Warren."

"Yes, love?"

There it was again, that name. Why was he suddenly calling me that? The possibilities sent shivers through me. To be loved by him... I couldn't even imagine what that would feel like. I tried to focus on the conversation. "You said I'm yours. What does that mean exactly?"

He cupped my chin, turned me to face him. When I did, his eyes held mine. "I believe 'girlfriend' is the right term."

A short thrill went through me at that. "Officially?"

"Do you not wish to be official?"

"No, it's not that. I just... Well, I didn't want to jump to any conclusions, especially since you apparently don't date."

He grinned a full on megawatt grin that took my breath away. "Conclude away, love. I am quite invested in you being mine." He paused, then asked, "Do I take it that I am officially yours as well?"

I raised a brow, then sat up. "I came onto you and you're questioning that?"

He shrugged, grinning, his eyes tender as he waited.

I rolled my eyes, but couldn't help blushing. It hadn't fully hit me yet that he was mine. "I told you, it's you I want."

He wrapped me in his arms again. "I'm glad."

This was heaven.