Chapter 14

I was eager to get to school the next morning, to see him. And when I pulled up and saw him across the lot, waiting next to a new car, my heart swelled up and threatened to explode in my chest. It was a little dizzying, this feeling that came with knowing that he was waiting for me, that this better than perfect guy was into me. I couldn't contain my smile as I got out of the car. He was already halfway across the lot towards me. "I perceive high spirits."

"Me too," I teased back, feeling so light I could float.

He drew me into his arms for a minute, sending my heart into overdrive, then drew back and gazed at me. "Good morrow, love."

"Hi."

He smiled and caught my hand in his. As he turned to the school I then realised something; we had commanded the attention of the entire school. As if unaware, Warren led me into the school hall, commenting, "Your rest must have been reviving."

"You could say that," I mumbled, deciding not to mention how I'd been awake all night, just trying to come to terms with the fact that I was dating the most amazing guy on the planet.

Step aside, Chris Hemsworth.

Then I realised that all eyes were on us here too and dropped my eyes, covering my face with my hair as I blushed deeply.

Warren stopped and turned to me. "And why do you blush?"

"Everyone's staring."

He laughed softly and leaned in to whisper in my ear, "I can release your hand, if you wish."

I shook my head firmly. Nothing was going to make me want that. He laughed again and slowly tucked my hair back, saying, "Mayhap it is not advisable for you to join your friends just yet. What they are thinking is... Well, for the moment, the result of shock."

I glanced around him and saw all four of them staring, too. I looked back at him. "You can tell?"

"Trust me on this." The slight smile was replaced by concern. "And be wary of Thorne, Belle. He disapproves of this union."

"Why?" I asked, puzzled.

"Must you ask?"

I didn't know the answer to that, but I asked another question. "How does he know?" I hadn't told anyone.

"He shall when you meet," he promised, then smiled again. "I must leave. Impatience has overcome Anya Roswell, and Derek Ganning is beside himself with outrage. Basketball practice is unavoidable, of course, but may I call on you after?"

I smiled. He was so formal I felt like an eighteenth century maiden. "Yes, milord," I teased.

He raised a brow. "Excellent." He leaned in and kissed my forehead, making my heart sigh, and left.

I went over to my friends, feeling a warm glow spread across my face. I avoided their eyes as I opened my locker. I knew what was coming.

"What the hell was that?" Derek spit, venom in every word.

Whoa. Okay, maybe I didn't know what was coming. I blinked, confused.

"Derek!" Anya chided.

"What's your problem, man?" Chuck demanded.

"Me? I'm not the one with the problem!" He stepped closer to me. "What're you doing with that guy? Didn't I warn you about him?"

"Derek," I began, stepping back from him, still unable to understand his anger.

Chuck caught Derek's arm and pushed him back, away from me. "Take a walk, man. Now."