Day 16 (Gamekeeper & Reader)

(This is the longest fictober i've ever written XD Everything here is neutral and all fluff. The next day will be better!)

("We could have a chance." - Day 16)

"We could have a chance..."

You trailed off as you eyed your other friends. You were back to back with Gamekeeper; Meaning, you were paired with him for this little minigame Jack had set up for survivors and hunters alike.

Jack had an idea one day. With Miss Nightingale's help and some strings pulled, he was able to set up this minigame called Blackjack. This game was meant to keep the survivors on their toes as well as entertain the hunters. For it to work, he asked each hunter to pair up with a survivor that they hate the least or get along with the most.

Fortunately for you, Gamekeeper decided to pair up with you for this match, which shocked you immensely. Didn't he hate everyone?

Gamekeeper let out a small grunt at your quiet comment as he sat in his seat with his arms crossed. "Who else is in the match?" You had a quick look around and whispered to him the people who had chosen to participate in today's Blackjack match with you.

"Aesop, Lucky, Kevin, and Emma, I can't see the hunters though, it's way too dark." You said and waved a quick hello to your friends. Gamekeeper didn't say much after that and waited for the match to start.

Once the match started, with survivors entering first, you watched as the world turned black and white; Mirroring Joseph's photo world. Jack stood in front of you and held out your first card, "Good luck, my dear. Don't forget, the person with the highest number will be the hunter." He reminded you before he disappeared.

When the world regained color, you rushed off to the nearest cipher. "I got one. I should be fine." You mumbled to yourself and started to work on the cipher. That was until Lucky ran up to you.

"Hey, (Y/n)!" He greeted you before he started to help you on the cipher. "What number did you get?" He looked a bit wary as he glanced at you. That look quickly turned into one of shock when you revealed to him your card number, "Wait? Crud..."

Just as you were about to ask him what was wrong, black mist instantly surrounded his form. You booked it. Lucky had the highest number! You were curious as to know which Hunter paired up with him, but you would like to know at a safe distance! The transformation was soon complete, and you could feel your heartbeat pick up.

Daring a look behind you, the sight of Michiko shuffling after you made you run even faster. "Wait! Please, (Y/n)! It's just one hit!" She called out after you, her fan at the ready to knock you out.

"No! I'm winning this with Gamekeeper! Go find someone else to knock down!"

You kept running and dodging Michiko until she managed to catch up to you. After knocking you down, she gently picked you up and brushed off the dust on your clothes. "I'm sorry..." She quietly said as she held out her card, waiting for you to take it.

"It's okay. It happens," You plucked that card from Michiko's hand and watched as the world warped back into black and white. "With this high number, I'm going to be the hunter for sure."

Just as you said that; A black mist enveloped you, and taking your place in the game now was Gamekeeper. Lucky quickly ran on out of there, not wanting to be in the range of his hook. The last thing he wanted was to be the hunter again.

"Time to hunt," Gamekeeper huffed to himself as he started to roam around in search of any nearby survivors. Walking by a few pallets, he had his hand on his hook while Kevin crouched behind a pallet, hoping that Gamekeeper would walk on by and ignore him.

Kevin peeked out from the side, but he quickly shrunk back when a hook came flying at him. "Can't believe you're paired up with (Y/n)! Here I thought you would live a life of solitude!" He taunted Gamekeeper as he started to run away. He had his hand on his lasso, ready to turn around and attempt to counter the hook.

When he heard Gamekeeper whirling around his hook, Kevin quickly turned around and started to twirl his lasso too. Right now, both males were in a stand-off, glaring at each other.

"What do you think they're doing?" Emma curiously asked as she eyed the two males while working on a cipher. Right next to her was Aesop, who spared a glance at both of them and shrugged. He had no idea what was going between them, but he had no interest in finding out.

The stare-down went down for quite a while until a bell rang throughout the map. That signaled the end of the second round as Gamekeeper was quickly switched out for you. "Kevin? What the heck are you standing here for?" You questioned him. Throughout the whole round, you got stuck in a waiting room of sorts. You couldn't do anything except wait for your turn again.

Since it was your turn again, you were confused, why was Kevin standing in front of you twirling his lasso? Did Gamekeeper do something weird?

You didn't have much time to ponder about that before Ripper handed you a card. Luckily this time, you weren't going to be switched out! Before you could reflect on your earlier questions, you felt a lasso wrap around your waist and pull you towards Kevin. "Hey! Let go of me!"

Kevin had you settled on his shoulder as he made a run for the nearest cipher, but you weren't having any of that. You struggled out of his hold and brushed yourself off, "Okay, what is wrong with you!? What did GameKeeper do, huh?" You asked him with a frown and walked next to him. You didn't know whether he had one of those shuffle or exchange cards to use on you, so you were wary.

"...The big guy didn't do anything. Y'know what, focus on decoding." That just made you curious. What the heck did these two men do, but you did what he said though and focused on decoding.

The next thing you knew, a few rounds were over, and you were entering the final round with only you and Kevin still standing. Unluckily for you, Kevin had an exact 21 which forced GameKeeper to take your place in the game, again.

"Back at this again, big boy?" Kevin and Gamekeeper were back at it again, swinging their items at each other.

"We're winning this match, whether you like it or not." Gamekeeper growled at him as he charged up his attack, swinging his hook first. He caught Kevin off guard and managed to knock him down in one hit, a smirk hidden by his deer mask. "Game over, cowboy."

Returning to the main waiting room, you ran up to Gamekeeper with a big grin on your lips. "Great job! We won this match!" You cheered happily and felt proud that the most unlikely duo of this match had won.

Uncharacteristically of Bane, he placed a hand on your head and gently tousled up your hair before walking off towards the exit that leads straight back to the hunters' side of the manor. "Farewell then, until next time." He grunted out to you, which left you with a happy feeling. You can still look forward to teaming up with Gamekeeper in future games like these.