Chinese New Year BlackJack

The tension was thick in Oletus Manor's library. Several survivors and hunters gathered around an oval oak wood table that was covered by a green baize. Pound sterlings and coins covered every inch of the table; Along with several belongings that have a good value on them.

Seated around the table are Vera, Kreacher, Lucky, Demi, Michiko, Jack, and Burke. The look of concentration on each of their faces was intense.

The tension was soon released when Jack set down his dealt cards, his mask lifting slightly to indicate he was smirking underneath. "Blackjack~." He stated proudly. "Pay up, everyone."

Groans of annoyance echoed around the whole table as they all paid up their betted amount. "Can someone else be the banker? Jack's luck and skill is just too good." Demi whined, taking a deep swig from her bottle of beer.

Lucky and Vera both spared a glance at each other before they both got up from the table. "Where are you two going?" Michiko asked calmly, her fan covering the bottom half of her face. "Don't you want to play some more?"

"Thanks, but no thanks. I'm not losing my dignity again." A chill went through Lucky as he reminisced of the last time he played BlackJack against his fellow survivors. "...I'm so not getting back into that dress." He mumbled to himself and quickly ran off to another corner of the library, where the other survivors were relaxing.

Vera only waved her hand nonchalantly, skipping off to the sidelines. "I'm done for the day too. I think I'll be satisfied watching you guys play." She said while pocketing the money she had won from Jack.

"I guess those two are down from the count then. Let's continue," Jack shuffled the cards quickly before placing the deck of cards down on the table. "Would anyone like to cut them?" A grumble came from the end of the table as Burke reached over and separated the cards, his beady eyes staring at Jack as he did so.

"Just making sure you ain't cheating." He growled out. Now Burke wasn't on the losing side, but he's a grumpy old grandpa. He needs more cash for his experiments.

Jack shrugged it off as he picked up the cards and began to serve the rest of them. "I never cheat, Burke. It's all pure luck," he says confidently. Once two cards have been served to the players, another round of blackjack has begun. "Kreacher, do you need to draw a card?"

Said man checked his cards, his eyes squinting in disdain at his hand. "Yes, Kreacher will draw a card." He pulled a card from the deck and set down his cards. "Stand." Jack could see him breathe out a sigh of relief, making him let out a chuckle. This game is just too easy for him.

"I'll stand too." Demi confidently stated, her elbows on the table and her head resting atop her hands. A smug grin was on her lips before she glanced at Michiko next to her, whose fan still covered half of her face.

Without a word, Michiko reached towards the deck of cards and before she pulled one out; If you listened close enough you could hear, "おじいちゃんは家に帰ってください。"[1] She swiftly nabbed the card and peeked at what she got. "Stand." Her voice had a slight happy tone to it.

"And you, Burke?" Predicting what his fellow players had gotten, Jack moved on to the last player and tauntingly shook the deck of cards in front of him. "You can't possibly have enough, can you?

"Hit me then," Feeling brave, Burke drew a card and slapped it down on the table, revealing a 6 of hearts. You could hear one of Burke's blood vessel pop at this point.

Knowing that reaction, Jack set down the deck of cards and picked up his cards. "Well, if everyone may, please reveal your cards." One by one, they all revealed their cards except for Burke, who grumbled by himself.

Not wanting to waste another second, Jack reached out and flipped open the rest of Burke's cards. It was a bust! Burke was over 21 by 2 points. "Looks like you'll have to pay up, Burke," Jack said, doing his best to hide the happiness in his voice as he flipped over his cards to reveal two King of Spades.

Demi let out a huff of relief, the cards she had gotten were the same amount as Jack's. But the same couldn't be said for Kreacher as he slowly slinked away from the table with what was left of his money. "He'll pay for that later, but it seems like you're the only one who won, Michiko."

The three cards she had, added up to a perfect 21. Her eyes were closed in happiness as she received her money from Jack. "Mmhmm, Grandfather really did come home." She hummed out happily.

"We should call it a night then-"

"NO, WE KEEP PLAYING UNTIL I EARN BACK MY MONEY!" Burke exclaimed, slamming down a bottle of beer on the table with Demi backing him up by slamming her own bottle of beer.

"YEAH!"

"You three have your fun then. I'll be with the others." Not wanting to mix in anymore with the rowdy duo, Michiko got up from her seat and made her way to the sidelines to spectate them.

"Then let's go for another round, but with higher stakes of course. Let's get this round started then~."

(Happy Chinese New Year everyone!! I hope my writing is as it usually is! Hope y'all gambled and had fun this year!!)

[1] Okay so when gambling, especially amongst Chinese people, some of the gamblers will loudly scream, "GRANDFATHER PLEASE COME HOME TO ME" or what I and my brothers say, "AH GONG, COME HOME LAH." Ah gong or grandfather is referred to the King card. Ah Peh is for the Queen, and Leng Zai is for the Jack~.