8. secret walls

"Father, why'd you spare them?" Hongjoong asks as soon as he bursts into the throne room where he knew Jaejoong was having a meeting with some of his confidants.

They were all seated around a large table, with papers scattered on it. Jaejoong looks up at him with narrowed eyes as if angry at him for interrupting his confidential meeting.

"Do you not see I'm in the middle of something?" He replies gruffly. His grey eyes shine daringly contrasting his dark hair.

"I k-know but--"

"Leave boy. We'll talk about this later" He cuts off the younger vampire as he turns his attention back to the 6 other men at the table.

Hongjoong sucks his teeth in frustration then turns on heel. Early that morning they'd captured two drows alive. One of which was most likely in the slave quarters by now and the other still in holding.

No matter how hard he thought he couldn't think of any reason why Jaejoong would spare their lives especially since they'd infiltrated the castle and killed several good men. He was over 100 years old and in all that time he's never known his father to be the forgiving type.

In any other circumstance he would've personally ripped their hearts right out of their chests and watched as they took their last breathe, and he would've done it front of the whole town because that's just how morbid and spiteful he was.

So why was now different?

"If you keep frowning like that you'll grow wrinkles" He hears a voice behind him and be turns to face his mothers petite frame. Her blood red lips stretch into a warm smile. "What's got you so upset?" She asks as she keeps walking past him, her heels clicking on the hardwood floors. Two of her personal maids and escorts following close behind her.

Hongjoong walks beside her, a small sigh escaping his lips. "Father is so confusing" This comment causes her to laugh heartily.

"Trust me, I've been married to him for centuries, I would know. What'd he do?"

"What didn't he do, more like"

"If you're referring to those wretched drows that were taken in this morning then don't worry" She says with a wave of her her silk glove covered hand. Her black curled hair bouncing with her every step.

With this he looks at her with surprised eyes. Does she know why he spared them? "What do you mean 'don't worry'?" He asks as he stops in his tracks but she keeps walking, her black satin knee length dress waving slightly.

"Trust your father, Hongjoong. When has he ever done anything without having a reason behind it?" Her voice trails down the hallway.

He watches as she and her escorts turns into another pathway. He sighs once again and begins to make his way to his room.

"Maybe she's right..."