Part 6: A Few Things I Hate About You

Namjoon calls and I'm stuffing my face with pasta while arguing with Rory about Dean. I let it ring a couple of times before  I answer.

"Hello," I say pausing Gilmore Girls. 

"Hey!" Namjoon says with a cheerful voice. "I just wanted to tell you I'm staying at the dorm tonight but I'll be heading back tomorrow. If that's still okay with you."

"Oh yeah sure," I try to suppress my enthusiasm.

"Are you busy?"

"A little, why?" I AM busy rewatching one of my favorite shows so it's not a complete lie.

"What are you doing?" I can hear Namjoon swiveling in his chair.

Damn it

"I am...just cleaning."

"At this hour? Didn't you clean the other day?"

I've been caught in a lie.

"Not my desk."

"Do you mind if we talk while you clean?" I look at the pile of books and old worksheets currently residing on top of my desk. Great, now I have to clean that.

"Okay. What do you want to talk about?"

"Umm I don't know, I just want to hear your voice."

I want to be angry at Namjoon. I want to tell him that he can't do this. That he can't kiss me and the next day tell me to forget about it then call me just to hear my voice. I want to tell him I don't want to play whatever game this is. I want to tell him my bias should've been Jimin.

But of course, I don't say any of that because I, too, want to hear his voice. 

................................................................................................................................................................

I come back from work and run up the stairs. Namjoon texted me earlier saying he had arrived. I'm out of breath, you think I'd be used to these stairs by now.

I open the door and trip on a pair of shoes. He's here.

"Namjoon, if I trip on your shoes once more time!" I say half-joking.

"Jeez Elle, I missed you too!" He pops up out of nowhere and gives me a tight hug.

"I don't think I agreed to that nickname," I said hugging him back. My face pressed against his chest. I feel so small in his arms like I could get lost in them.

"Too late!" Namjoon says and kisses the top of my head. I look at him, his eyes disappear behind a giant smile. I feel like I'm in a dream. Is that what this is? Nothing but a dream? It takes everything within me to push Namjoon away. I turn my back to him trying to hide my blushed cheeks.

"Have you eaten?" I open the fridge and take out a bottle of water.

"I had some of that pasta. It was really good, did you make it?"

"Of course, I made it!" I roll my eyes. Namjoon reaches for the bottle of water after seeing me struggle to open it.

"Well, well, aren't you the whole package deal."

"Right? I should audition for The Bachelorette," I chuckle at the thought. He hands me back the bottle.

"I'll be expecting a rose." He says and immediately flashes a shy smile. His dimples begging to be noticed. I have to get away from them, from him.

I try to take a step back but I'm trapped between the kitchen counter and Namjoon. When did he get so close? My heart feels like it's going to explode. My throat feels dry. I look away while taking a sip of water.