1. He Owns Me

Today is the beginning of my new life.  I am his now.  I belong to Na Jaemin. He owns me but he doesn't love me.

I walked into school this morning, and I saw him, surrounded by his bunch of fangirls. For the first time in my life, I looked at him. Properly looked. Before that, it had been just cursory glances; he was a goodlooking boy, and very popular in school, but I was indifferent, for the most part. He existed on the periphery of my consciousness, a tall, beautiful, misty figure that drifted in and out of my school life; we had never spoken to each other, we moved in different circles even though we belonged to the same, exclusive, and very expensive See Lin High School, the undoubted choice of the elite rich and the privileged of Korea. I didn't care to get to know him, and he didn't care to get to know me, either.

Until this morning.

I stared at him. And then he turned, and looked at me. There was an awareness in his eyes, because he had been informed, just as I had been, of our mutual bond - signed, sealed and delivered to us, the two principal players of this mutually-benefitting arrangement, called An Engagement, last night.

His lovely brown hair shimmered in the dewy warmth of the morning sun, filtering it with lazily-shifting streaks of light, and beneath it, other features blended into a pleasing whole: a pair of eyes that are fringed with dark, sooty lashes, and above them, a set of pale brown eyebrows.

His eyes are a striking, stormy gray; they held my gaze for the briefest of moments.

What was I expecting? Recognition? An understanding? Sympathy, for our destinies, linked, irreversible, intertwined? But, what I saw was none of these. What I saw in those eyes was indifference. A coldness, chilling me, despite the balmy warmth of the day.

My eyes took in the smooth forehead, an elegant nose, and an oddly tender, almost vulnerable mouth, a striking contrast to the jaw beneath, with its perfect hard lines, and lips that made me, for some reason, very aware of my own.

I was staring. And he had caught me staring.

I blinked my eyes open, unsure for the first time in my life. It was an uncomfortable sensation, for I pride myself on being calm and self-assured at all times. And then, he turned his head, and looked away.

It was deliberate.

I felt a flush of mortification - another first, for I am in control at all times, and this boy - this arrogant jackass -  had done the unthinkable: he had flustered me. Me. Kim Haeri. The Ice Princess. How dare he? was my first thought. And then I felt a rush of anger, so unlike me. I do not allow things to ruffle me, but Na Jaemin, for some reason, had got under my skin.

He didn't look at me again. His eyes were on the adoring crowd of girls. For them he smiled. They were all his. They basked, purring like cats in the glow of his attention. He had turned away from me, and kept me out in the cold. He wanted to tell me something; I read it, clear as day, in that deliberate cut, it dripped with ice from every line of that rigid, unbending back: I own you, but I am indifferent to you. I may even dislike you.

No one had ever cut me. No one had ever turned his back on me.

Until now. Until him.

I felt something surge in me; something new, powerful. I caught my breath. A thrill of excitement rippled through me. He had suddenly become A Challenge. My challenge. He had brought new meaning to my plodding, useless existence.

I made my decision in a split second.

I would make him fall in love with me.

You may think that I'm arrogant, or vain. I am neither.