56. The Storm

It is pouring.

There is a long line of cars at the entrance of the school.

Jaemin and I head for the limo. We decided to walk to the limo, instead of waiting for it to pick us up. We proceed fitfully, an umbrella - my umbrella - wobbling in Jaemin's hand. The wind almost sweeps me off my feet, but Jaemin's arm is around me; he will not let me fall, I bend a little, but I won't break, not this time, not with him beside me. He holds me up, hugging me against his side, his grip propelling me forward. Jaemin matches my pace; we break the backs of leaves beneath us. Somewhere above, a shiver of wind sends a flurry of raindrops onto my head, my face, my shoulders. A group of girls huddled under an awning stare at us curiously; they turn their heads, watching us fight our way to the limo.

The traffic is horrendous, the rain is merciless, lashing against the glass windows, the wind is so strong, I can almost hear it hissing from the interior of the limo.

"We're almost home," Jaemin says.

Home.

My heart fills.

Such a lovely word. Almost as beautiful as love.

"Here we are," he says, softly, ushering me into the apartment, and locking the door behind him. Our apartment. This time, last year, it had rained, too, and I had been driven home silently to my empty house, my parents away, my cold, arctic heart sealed against the world.

I walk into the kitchen, pour myself a glass of water.

I feel his eyes on my back.

"Haeri."

I turn.

"Jaemin." I can hear myself breathe.

"Come here." His voice is trench-deep.

One step. Two, and I'm in his arms.

"Are you going to kiss me?" I say huskily.

"Only if you want me to."

I look him in the eyes. Those liquid brown eyes. Holding my gaze. Rough and ready.

"Yes," I breathe.

Then a moment later - or maybe an hour:

"Haeri." A soft sigh, his long, slender fingers splayed, like a fan, on my thigh.

"Jaemin." My voice is a puff of breath. I can almost see it, a little spirit floating before my face, ghostly white in the frozen air.

We eat Thai food, by special delivery, for dinner.

Jaemin does his homework, and I go to our room - my room, previously, but he's moved all his clothes inside, so now, it's ours - and I close the door, and make a call.

The phone rings on the other end. It's my mother's secretary.

"Hello, Mrs. Na," she sounds surprised.

"There is someone I want you to check up on. Her name is Eun Juda. Find out everything you can about her."

I walk back to the living room. Jaemin has finished his homework. He makes us two hot steaming mugs of dark chocolate.

"Why dark chocolate?" I ask.

"It's my favourite drink."

"It reminds me of your eyes," I say. "Dark and hot and liquid."

He laughs, softly. "Sounds a lot like your eyes, Horny Bunny."

I settle myself down on the sofa.