23. Change

The rest of the morning whips by.

The seat in front is conspicuously empty.

Suzy leans over, and says quietly, "What was that all about?"

"The dead rat was a gift from Juda." I say.

"What? But why?"

"She has a fixation on Jaemin."

"A fixation?" Her eyes are big as saucers. "Like an obsession?"

"Yeah."

"So what did you do to her? Haeri?" She looks worried. "She's absent. Did you do anything?"

"I didn't strangle her, if that's what you're asking," I say lightly. "I just gave her a bath. To clean her up. She was toxic. I gave her a shower. She got wet." I smile grimly. "Like a drowned rat."

"So where is she now?" Suzy is shocked.

"Who knows?" I shrug. "Who cares?"

"Haeri, I don't know who's scarier, you or Juda." Suzy stares at me.

Juda doesn't make an appearance until the third period. She skulks in in her sports attire. Pink tee. Black track bottoms. Her hair is still slightly damp, and her eyes bloodshot. She doesn't look at anyone, but goes quietly to her desk, and sits down. By then, Suzy has spread the news. Suzy is a gossip. She can't keep a secret. Tell her a juicy piece of news, and BOOM! within thirty minutes, the entire story would have spread like wildfire. Everybody starts whispering, and sneaking glances at me. Kim Haeri the girl who does her own thing and minds her own business has become someone to be reckoned with. I stare at them coolly. Don't mess with me, and I won't mess with you. They blink, and look away; some in shock, others in dismay. They don't know who I am anymore. I don't know who I am anymore.

Break comes, and I go to the cafeteria with Suzy. I see them straightaway. Jaemin and Carol are standing in a corner at a sitting area, a shadowy enclave of potted plants and soft, plush cushions and leather chairs. They are engrossed in conversation, oblivious to their surroundings. Shit. My heart sinks like a stone. Don't tell me -

I tell Suzy to go on ahead. I walk quietly to where they are and stand behind a wall, pretending to stare at my phone. I feel weak standing here, eavesdropping; I am a frail being of shadows and sand, a child again, looking down at my wrist, tiny and bony under my hand, gripping it tight, as I hear my mother sob quietly into the phone: Mother, Minchoo has a mistress. What am I going to do?

In the strange half-light, Jaemin is almost ghostly, a wisp of fragments out of the dark, shimmering in a sliver of white sunlight.

"I miss you," she says, the tears thick in her voice, "so much."

Quiet.

"I love you. I will love you till my last breath." She whispers with a little catch in her voice.

"Do you miss me?" Her voice breaks on a sob. "Miss us?"

He sighs softly. "Let's not do this anymore, Carol." She cries harder. "I can't do this anymore. I'm sorry."

"I don't care about that kiss. It doesn't mean a thing. Let's forget about it. It doesn't matter anymore. It's me you love. Not her. I know you're just doing your duty by her." Her voice is tight, a wall that contains her misery.

"No." His voice is very quiet. "It's not duty. Not anymore." A pause. I imagine him looking at her. His voice is sad. "I'm sorry. I really am. I'm sorry I hurt you. But it's over between us."

"Are you telling me you like that little bitch?" There is an ugly note in her voice. "That snooty little bitch. You actually like her?"

"Don't talk about Haeri that way." His voice is very cold all of a sudden. "She is to be my wife."