72. Mutton

Spinning spots of light move over the grey walls and across my face.

"Morning."

I turn my head.

Jaemin is smiling, his face pillowed on his elbow, his gaze soft on my face.

"Hey," he says softly.

Is he real? Or a hazy ghost woven from a mist of memories and dreams?

I reach out and touch his face wonderingly. "Are you real?"

He captures my fingers, curling my hand into his. "I'm real." He leans over, and presses a soft kiss on my lips.

"You're in my room." His mouth curves into a smile. "We came straight here after checking out of the hotel yesterday afternoon. Remember?"

"Come home with me." Jaemin's deep voice rumbled across my skin.

Home with me. Where I belong.

Jaemin led the way to his apartment.

He closed the door behind us.

"Come here," he said.

I wrapped my arms around his waist and pressed my mouth against his. He tangled his fingers in my hair.

"I love you, Haeri."

"Get dressed, sleepyhead," he murmurs. "I'll go fix breakfast."

Jaemin is scooping out scrambled eggs in the kitchen when I walk in.

"Morning." I beam at Dan, his shy flatmate who mumbles something in response. I pull out a stool and sit across from him. He starts to blush. Seriously, what is wrong with this guy?

"Eat," Jaemin says, setting a plate of scrambled eggs before me, and sitting down next to me.

"So, Dan," I say, "what are you majoring in?"

Dan freezes. "Um - " he croaks. "V - veterinary S-science." He reaches blindly for his cup of coffee and gulps a mouthful.

"Wow. You must like animals, huh."

Jaemin smirks. Dan looks agonized.

"I don't have any dogs or cats." Silence from Dan. I add desperately, "But I had a goldfish once." Jaemin makes a strange choking sound. Dan stares at his half-eaten sandwich. "It died. I killed it. Not on purpose, though. I kept feeding it. Because it looked so hungry all the time." There is a note of rising hysteria in my voice. I want to stop talking, but I can't. Jaemin's no help. He's covered his mouth with his hand. His shoulders are shaking. "I kept feeding it. And it kept eating. It died the third day after I bought it. But it died happy, you know? It kept eating all the way to the...the end." Jaemin almost splutters out his coffee. I glare at him. He is laughing quietly, his shoulders heaving, while Dan looks like he wants to die.

"You ready?" Jaemin grins at me.

"I can get a Uber. You have an early lecture."

"No way are you getting a Uber." He tweaks my nose. "You can ride with me."

"Ride with you?"

"Ride me, yes."

"What did you just say?"

"You're hearing things, baby." I shake my head to rid the images now flashing through it. But Dan is jumping to his feet, his face beet-red. He bolts, leaving Jaemin laughing.

"Just a minute," Jaemin says, staring at his car tyre. "Damn, I've got a flat. Hang on." He opens the boot and takes out a spare tyre.

He immediately gets to work. As he is changing the tyre, his white T-shirt rides up, exposing his silky-smooth, rock-hard abs and a thin trail of hair running into his underwear line. I remember my mouth following that trail last night, and shiver.