89. Unchartered Waters

I'm in the shower when my water breaks.

I stand there, water spilling down my legs.

That's weird, I think. The shower is off, but there's water gushing down my legs.

And then it hits me.

My water broke.

I wrap myself in a towel and waddle out of the bathroom.

"My water broke," I say weakly. I feel sick.

Jaemin stares at me for a beat. As if he is processing what I am saying.

Then:

"Okay," he says calmly. "Let's get you to the hospital."

"No!" I wail. "I'm not ready ---- " I stop, suddenly breathless. What was that?

It felt like someone squeezed my abdomen, coiling it up into a tight, painful knot.

Is that what a contraction is like?

"What's wrong, baby?" Jaemin is beside me in a flash. Come to think of it, he isn't as calm as he appears. He is breathing hard, and his face is tight.

"I think I'm having a contraction, ouch ----- "

Another contraction hits, and Jaemin grabs my hand.

"Breathe, baby," he says. "Can you change?" Gentle. "We need to get you to the hospital."

"Okay," I say. This is a dream. It can't be real. I am not ready to have a baby. Not today. Maybe tomorrow. Or the day after. But not today. I had plans for today. I was going to binge-watch a drama. I was -----

"Baby?" Jaemin is towelling me dry. I let him. "We'll go pick out some clothes for you to wear, okay?"

"Okay."

He walks me into the bedroom. He opens the closet doors and I'm dazedly picking out clean clothes to wear to the hospital. I drop the towel and I glance up at him and he's watching me.

His eyes meet mine and he blows out a quick breath, dropping his eyes back to my exposed stomach. He swallows.

"You’re beautiful," he whispers. A pang shoots through my chest at the softness, the tenderness in his eyes.

He places his hand on my stomach and holds it there. He smiles at me, brushing his thumb back and forth. There is so much love in his eyes I catch my breath. I will remember this moment forever.

"Thank you, my darling." His voice is so tender my eyes well with tears.

Another contraction hits, and my head goes blank.

I drag a loose maternity smock over me, and turn and climb back into bed.

"Darling," he says. "What are you doing?"

"I just want to lie down," I mutter.

If I stand, the baby might fall out of me.

"Darling," he says kindly. "You lie there, and I'll make a call, real quick. Just to let Dr. Oon know we're coming in. I left my phone outside, and I'll just go get it, and be right back. Okay?"

"I don't want to do this," I grab him before another contraction overtakes me. "I've changed my mind."

"Darling, you're going to be fine. Calm down," Jaemin says soothingly, and tries to prise my fingers from where they are clamped around his forearm, turning the skin white.

"Don’t go," I cry. "Please don’t go."

"A second, darling," he kisses me on the forehead. "I'll just be a second."