38. Pawns

"Haeri, did you hear what I said? The engagement has been terminated." My mother looks at me, waiting for a response.

I stare at her, a rushing in my ears.

"Why?" My voice is a frail thread.

"His father is running for parliament. He has obviously been advised that an unblemished image is essential to securing the post of senator. And even if Mr. Na has an untarnished reputation," she arches a beautifully-pencilled eyebrow delicately, the same cannot be said for his future in-law...your father, specifically." She smiles mockingly. "Your father is quite renown for his dubious dealings, my dear."

My father. This is all his fault. Black rage surges in me, choking me. He has taken away the boy I love. He has destroyed my life. I hate my father. I hate him, hate him, hate him.

"Don't I have any say in any of this?" I say through stiff lips.

"No, you do not, my dear. It has been decided." Pawns. That's what we are, Jaemin and I. They're playing with us, with our lives.

"Does - does Jaemin know?"

"Yes."

"I see." Two of the bleakest words in the language of the heart.

My mother is studying me with inscrutable eyes.

"Mr. Na has invited us to his mansion tomorrow night. A farewell dinner, an amicable parting of ways, of sorts." She walks to the door and pauses, her hand on the door knob. "Did I ever tell you about Mrs. Takeda?"

"Who?" I say numbly. Who cares about Mrs. Takeda?

"She is a socialite, Korean, married to a Japanese tycoon. She has immense clout among the elite. And what is most interesting is, she is a sniffer."

"A sniffer?"

"Yes." My mother stares at me. "She sniffs out a scandal faster than a hound dog. In fact, she makes it her sole purpose in life to uncover liaisons. Marriages have been broken because she caught husbands in compromising positions with women other than their wives. Marriages have been arranged because she caught men in compromising positions with women."

I stare at her blankly. Why on earth is she talking about some no-lifer who gets a kick out of poking her nose into other people's private affairs? More importantly, why the heck do I care when my entire life has been destroyed?

"Haeri," my mother is frowning. "Listen to me. Do you like Na Jaemin?"

"Yes," I whisper. "I - I don't like him. I love him, Mother." The tears are rolling down my face.

"Haeri," her cool hands are brushing away my tears. I wasn't even aware that she was sitting down next to me on my bed. She cups my wet face between her hands. "There will be a lot of guests at the dinner tomorrow night. Jaemin's new fiancée will be there. You know her, I think." She looks steadily into my eyes. "Carol See. His ex-girlfriend." No. No. No. It can't be. No. I want to die. I want to die right now. "Haeri. Listen to me. Haeri," my mother's hands are gripping my shoulders, shaking them. "Listen. Listen carefully. Mrs. Takeda will be at the dinner. She has been invited." My mother's eyes are boring into mine, trying to tell me something - but what? I am so tired. I can't think anymore. "Haeri. Mrs. Takeda has walked in on young couples  in compromising positions many, many times. It is quite the stuff of legends. Many, many young couples have been forced to marry, because of her. Because of her mouth. Young couples like you and Na Jaemin."

I blink.

"Haeri. Do you understand what I am saying?" Her voice is quiet.

I nod.

"A hint of a scandal is the biggest threat to a political ambition. Especially when a scandal has a witness like the fearsome Mrs. Takeda."

She rises to her feet, and strokes my hair. "Now stop feeling sorry for yourself, Kim Haeri. This," she lays her hand on my beating heart, "makes your weak. But this," she taps my forehead with one long, elegant finger, "makes you strong."

She smiles faintly, and walks out of the door.