13

The next morning, I was up early. I quickly scarfed down my breakfast and rushed to my car.

"What's wrong?" Keith asked, sitting in the passenger seat. I backed out of the garage and drove down the driveway, fiddling with the music system.

"Nothing," I said.

"Did Carson bother you?"

The car swerved and I fought to keep control. "What?! How do you know?"

"I saw her enter your room last night," he said.

"Yes," I said.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"No Keith, I do not want to talk about it," I said angrily. He shrugged.

When I reached school, I stomped off to the locker. I didn't know why I was so angry, I just knew I was. I saw that Adrian was waiting by my locker and shook my head.

"Adrian, I'm really not in the mood to talk right now."

"Um, ok," he said as I opened my locker. "I just wanted to-"

"With all due respect Adrian, fuck off," I said taking my books out. He looked surprised. 

"Why are you being so difficult? I-"

I slammed my locker shut, glaring at him. "Get the fuck away from me!"

People stared but I couldn't care less. I was pissed.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Dylan asked, putting an arm around my shoulder. I wriggled out of his hold.

"Nothing," I said.

"Hey Vivi," Dylan called out, waving her over from where she was talking with Cedric at her locker. They both walked over.

"Hey, what's up?" Vivi asked.

"What's wrong with Chloe?" Dylan asked.

"I'm standing right here, you know," I informed him. "And nothing's wrong with me."

"Why do you seem so... angry?" Cedric asked.

"I am not angry! I'm not mad! I'm not pissed! Okay?!" I yelled.

"Okay..." Vivian said, eyebrows raised.

I rolled my eyes and hurried to class. I sat down and tried to calm myself down. I knew I was being irrational, I knew I would just end up hurting those around me. But this was just my defense mechanism. I was pissed at Carson and scared and I was taking it out on everyone else.

"Hey," a smooth voice said quietly, sitting down next to me. 

I sighed. "Hey Caleb."

Alexa sat on my other side. "Heyyy, Chlo."

"Sup Alex."

"Why so gloomy? Didn't get to see your chocolate boy this morning?" Alexa teased. Caleb suddenly looked very interested.

"Shut up, Alexa," I warned.

"Ooh, why so touchy? Trouble in paradise?" she continued.

"Who's chocolate boy?" Caleb asked.

"None of your business," I snapped. "And Alexa, I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh please. I thought, no way they're friends, they're best friends, we're all best friends, if something was up she'd tell me. But I was wrong, wasn't I?" Alexa said. She actually looked hurt.

"Alexa I'm sorry. It was a prank, ok? We just wanted to pull off something on you guys but we really didn't mean to hurt you. It was just a prank," I said.